Adirondack Forum

Adirondack Forum (http://www.adkforum.com/index.php)
-   Trip Reports (http://www.adkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Lake Desolation - 3/9/18 (http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=25127)

SteveSam 03-09-2018 06:23 PM

Lake Desolation - 3/9/18

5 Attachment(s)
Skied near Lake Desolation today. Lots of snow to cover up the rocks, but plenty of wet areas to negotiate around. I worked my way out to the extensive Vly's to the west of the road and skied between the Vly's. Snow squalls came in and made it feel very wintry - beautiful scenery. Lots of fun, but be careful on the ice, lots of open water around. The road is not plowed very wide, so parking was not great.

Schip 03-09-2018 08:53 PM

Thanks so much for the trip report. I only live 15 min from there but I only started exploring it last year. Did you see/hear any snowmobiles?

Kath

real3175 03-09-2018 09:42 PM

Beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing

SteveSam 03-10-2018 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schip (Post 266368)
Thanks so much for the trip report. I only live 15 min from there but I only started exploring it last year. Did you see/hear any snowmobiles?

Kath

There are no snowmobile trails in the area that I ski. Snowmobiles use the road and the trails generally on the east side of the road. The noise of snowmobiles can carry very far so you will hear them in the distance on a busy weekend. I didn't hear them at all yesterday, but it was a Friday afternoon.

Blueliner 03-10-2018 11:37 AM

Thanks for sharing. Nice pics.

Grey-Jay 03-10-2018 06:26 PM

West of road?

I have desired exploring west of the road but other than small state land parcels for Albia Pond and West Vly, it seems much of that land is private- multiple landowners and eventually the posted Amsterdam Municipal water supply lands. Perhaps you are closer to Lake Desolation itself which I am less familiar with. East side of the road has more public access but also snowmobile traffic.

SteveSam 03-10-2018 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey-Jay (Post 266376)
I have desired exploring west of the road but other than small state land parcels for Albia Pond and West Vly, it seems much of that land is private- multiple landowners and eventually the posted Amsterdam Municipal water supply lands. Perhaps you are closer to Lake Desolation itself which I am less familiar with. East side of the road has more public access but also snowmobile traffic.

The area to the west of the road actually has extensive state land, just no trails. You can access the state land across the road from Archer Vly or from land near Black Creek, closer to Lake Desolation. You can actually travel from close to Tinney's all the way to West Vly - almost entirely on state land. I like to travel through the area in the winter using the swamps and vlys, but you need to be really careful - it is easy to break through the ice.

Schip 03-11-2018 09:06 PM

Well, I went out there today and had a great time right up until the ice gave way and I ended up knee deep in Little Hans Creek. Lost a snowshoe in the process and had to make it back to the road with only one. BTW, that snow is mid-thigh deep on this girl. Stay off the vlys!!!

Kathy

Tick Magnet 03-12-2018 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schip (Post 266394)
Well, I went out there today and had a great time right up until the ice gave way and I ended up knee deep in Little Hans Creek. Lost a snowshoe in the process and had to make it back to the road with only one. BTW, that snow is mid-thigh deep on this girl. Stay off the vlys!!!

Kathy

Yikes!!! :eek:

That's pretty scary. It's also a long way back to Fox Hill Rd. from there too.

Did anyone see any moose sign while poking around? Just curious.

dundee 03-12-2018 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schip (Post 266394)

Kathy

Postholer!!! :rolling: I hope you're going back sometime for the other shoe?

Schip 03-12-2018 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tick Magnet (Post 266402)
Yikes!!! :eek:

That's pretty scary. It's also a long way back to Fox Hill Rd. from there too.

Did anyone see any moose sign while poking around? Just curious.

Well I was following the tracks of a cloven-hoof beast when I got into trouble. I was pretty sure it was a deer though, not a moose. Then again, maybe it was the devil leading me astray!

Schip 03-12-2018 09:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dundee (Post 266403)

Sure. It's lost somewhere in here....

SteveSam 03-17-2018 06:34 PM

Sorry to hear that you got wet Schip and lost your snowshoe. The ice is very unpredictable. I hope you are OK.

Tick Magnet asked about moose in this area. I have seen tracks, but I have never seen moose.

Schip 03-31-2018 09:12 PM

Hey look what I found!

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dundee (Post 266403)

I went back today. I never really thought I would find it. But, I did!! It's hung up on something under the water. It's about 25 feet or so from where I went thru the ice. I couldn't get to it today. I'm going to go back once the snow melts and see if I can get it. After all, I know for a fact that water is only knee deep.

Kath

Schip 05-02-2018 08:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Reunited and it feels so good...... Found it in mid-thigh deep water about 100 ft from where I went in. For the record, that water is still pretty cold.

gebbyfish 05-02-2018 09:49 PM

How cool is that that you got it back! :D

Tick Magnet 05-02-2018 10:36 PM

Solid!

Best catch of the season :D

debmonster 05-03-2018 09:07 AM

Very cool!

geogymn 05-03-2018 06:56 PM

That snowshoe now has the substance of an heirloom.

Zach 05-09-2018 01:40 PM

Good for you for finding (and retrieving) your lost snowshoe. It must have been a very chilly procedure, and have taken a lot of gumption.
Zach