Adirondack Forum

Adirondack Forum (http://www.adkforum.com/index.php)
-   Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks (http://www.adkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Fishing Nick's Lake vs Raquette Lake (http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=25116)

madison 03-06-2018 12:43 AM

Fishing Nick's Lake vs Raquette Lake

Hey All,

Anyone have any experience bass fishing on Raquette Lake and Nick's Lake? I've been to Raquette and had some luck with bass there. I've never been to Nick's. My Sportsmen's Connection fishing guide says that Nick's is primarily a trout lake and doesn't list bass as one of the species present. The DEC website for Nick's Lake says that there are large and smallmouth bass there. Anyone know if that is the case? The fishing guide was published in 1990.

Creekwader 03-06-2018 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madison (Post 266312)
Hey All,

Anyone have any experience bass fishing on Raquette Lake and Nick's Lake? I've been to Raquette and had some luck with bass there. I've never been to Nick's. My Sportsmen's Connection fishing guide says that Nick's is primarily a trout lake and doesn't list bass as one of the species present. The DEC website for Nick's Lake says that there are large and smallmouth bass there. Anyone know if that is the case? The fishing guide was published in 1990.

About 20 years ago someone on the Nicks campsite staff decided that more bass fishing than what was already available in the area (which was plenty IMO) was needed. So they petitioned the DEC, they agreed and it’s been a bass lake ever since. It’s a shame too as it used to produce some large browns and bows along with a population of wild brookies that reproduced in a couple of the tribs. 20 years on I have to wonder if the campsite employee is still around, certainly his bass are.

I digress, to answer your question yes there are bass both large and smallmouth. I think the largemouth tend to dominate for numbers but the smallies run bigger. Those sportsman’s guides are pretty hit or miss with accurate info.

madison 03-06-2018 04:32 PM

Thanks for the info. While I generally enjoy bass fishing more than trout fishing (mainly because I have better luck at it) I definitely do not agree with introducing bass to trout waters. Have the trout been pretty much wiped out? The already demonstrated to be obsolete fishing guide also said that the DEC stocks browns and rainbows annually.

Buckladd 03-06-2018 08:28 PM

Tough to compare these two lakes as Raquette is a large lake with a diverse fishery and Nicks is just a pond. That said, I caught a nice brown in Nicks about four years ago, but they're hard to come by. Otherwise, it's an excellent bass fishery.

mspaci 03-26-2018 02:57 PM

They ruined the lake, we caught thousands of trout there over the years. Not much anymore. Mike

LI Joe 04-25-2018 11:02 AM

Definitely love fishing nicks lake. Great quantity but nothing too big bass wise!