In search of old hiking maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In search of old hiking maps

I've been exploring a peak in Eagle Bay for several years now. It's located east of the vista trail ridge and west of Cascade Mountain. All three of these make up a long continuous ridge with some passes in between, one of which Big Moose Road goes through.

Some time last year I found a series of DEC trail blazes along the summit ridge. They led directly from the overlook I visit coming from the basic direction of the Sis and/ Bub Vista trail. I've tried to follow them off the summit several times but they peter out.

I've looked at all of the USGS quad maps and none have this trail. I wasn't expecting it from them anyway but just to let y'all know I've done some of the research already haha.

What I think would be my best bet would be to find older trail maps for the area. Does anyone have any for this area? If so would you mind taking a look?

I appreciate any help or information!

There's this:

and this:
    Looking for views!

Comment

I looked in the 1988 edition of the McMartin guidebook for that area, but it made no mention of such a trail.

If there are numerous markers still on trees, then I would suggest that they were posted within the past 30 years. So the trail may not actually be all that historic. It seems possible that the DEC planned to extend the Vista Trail and even began construction on it, but then abandoned the work for some reason. I checked the UMP, though, and it doesn't make any mention of a trail over this peak, existing or planned.

It's also possible that someone got their hand on a bunch of DEC markers and attempted to make their own trail, without permission or authorization.

Comment

Thanks folks. It's been a while since I've checked into this thread. DSettahr: those are some definite possibilities. Based on the appearance of the blazes I'd have to agree that we are talking the past 30 years. They are a modern plastic.

I hadn't even considered the possibility it was unauthorized marking/ cutting (I forgot to mention there's evidence of well healed cutting). On one of my visits there was evidence of a recent campfire up there so I know I'm not the only one visiting there periodically.

I'd really love to get to the bottom of this. I'll definitely check back in if I ever figure it out.

Comment

Working...
        X