Adirondack Forum

Adirondack Forum (http://www.adkforum.com/index.php)
-   GPS Navigation, Maps, and Orienteering (http://www.adkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   GPS Apps For Android (http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=15640)

UpstateIrish 05-11-2011 03:00 PM

GPS Apps For Android

So I just got a newfangled, shiny, HTC Android phone and of course my first thought was, must get outdoor Apps! I have downloaded a compass a US Army survival manual and other ridiculous apps but I want to know if anyone has downloaded GPS apps and if so, do you like them? Most look like they cost $10 and while not a huge outlay, just wondering if anyone had direct experience with any Droid apps? Thanks! :thumbs:

daLunartik 05-11-2011 06:28 PM

I've downloaded the EveryTrails app, but have rarely used it - and never in the woods, mainly because of the battery drain to run my phone (a Droid X) in gps mode. I think I could have gotten a paid version of EveryTrails, but the additional features it would have given me still would have left it a poor replacement for my 60CSx.

One app I do recommend, is GasBuddy. Not that there are a lot of gas options in the Dacks per se, but useful for gas prices none the less.

redhawk 05-11-2011 10:02 PM

There are some good outdoor apps for Iphone and Android, but the gps apps ain't them.

Hawk

Troy64 05-12-2011 06:13 AM

Backcountry Navigator is good, but the GPS is a huge drain on the battery.

You can buy extra batteries online for about $6 each. The batteries (for a Droid) I bought (see link) have worked just as well as the one that came with the phone.

crkmeup 05-12-2011 06:43 AM

If you are already bringing a cell phone it might be an ok backup. I will stick with my map and compass with a dedicated device as an assistant. If you forget disable background sync and enable airplane mode your battery won't last in the back country. IMHO

colden46 05-12-2011 08:24 AM

Not really a GPS app, but I have this iphone app that will let me download and offline view 24k USGS topo maps. It was $8, and worth it IMO. Great for daydreaming at work ;) Not sure if there's a droid version.

One thing to consider if you're planning on using this in the field: most GPS units are water resistant, and most phones aren't. Phones nowadays have liquid contact indicators, sometimes basically on the OUTSIDE of the device. One little splash or some rain, and your warranty is void.

UpstateIrish 05-13-2011 03:12 AM

Great advice everyone! Thanks so much for the input. I was hoping to use it as a GPS device but it sounds like battery life is a major issue. I am a big believer in actual maps but am intrigued by this new device. Maybe I will look into those batteries and some of those apps! Thanks!!

crkmeup 05-13-2011 10:38 AM

You may want to include a USB/AA phone charger in your kit too. For many reasons I would not use the phone in the back country. I do bring a cell phone but turn it off and remove the battery. That way if I do need it, it might work. Enjoy and HYOH.

geogymn 02-05-2012 09:28 AM

Took a hike yesterday, tried out "My Tracks" app for android and it blows me away. Downloaded to Google maps. Showed our route, start and end times, distance traveled, and a chart showing elevation change. Wish I had that in the past to show where I walked all those times I got lost but then I wouldn't of got lost, forget it.