Adirondack Forum

Adirondack Forum (http://www.adkforum.com/index.php)
-   Photography (http://www.adkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   ADK Moose (http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=24029)

Josh1 01-26-2017 07:49 PM

ADK Moose

This year I want to get some good pictures of moose in the Adirondacks. I will be going late July and possibly early October to the Moose River Plains. What are the best ponds to see moose at besides Helldiver? Is there any way to attract moose? Is it worth it to go to Little Moose Wilderness and West Canada Lakes? Would it be too crowded with hunters if I went in October?

Schultzz 01-27-2017 06:35 PM

You can call moose with vocal calls and scraping brush with moose bone. Also holding a moose rack above your head will challenge a moose but be aware of a possible charge and possible poachers taking a shot at you. There are videos of a guy challenging a moose with moose antlers. If you have a canoe or kayak moose don't generally regard someone gliding on the water as threatening as someone seen or heard walking through brush or bushwacking.

Hard Scrabble 01-29-2017 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh1 (Post 255625)
This year I want to get some good pictures of moose in the Adirondacks. I will be going late July and possibly early October to the Moose River Plains. What are the best ponds to see moose at besides Helldiver? Is there any way to attract moose? Is it worth it to go to Little Moose Wilderness and West Canada Lakes? Would it be too crowded with hunters if I went in October?

The West Canadas should not be crowded in October. They're far from the road and receive little hunting pressure.
Any hunters that you may encounter would be experienced and pose little danger to hikers.
As Schultzie said, male moose can be territorial at that time of year.
Jim

Wldrns 01-29-2017 03:51 PM

When paddling the Yukon, locals told us to be much more afraid of moose than of bears. When a bear takes interest in you, it most likely is only after your food. On the other hand when a moose takes interest in you (especially when its ears are drawn back and head lowered), its intent is to kill you.

aft paddle 01-29-2017 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh1 (Post 255625)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wldrns (Post 255684)
When paddling the Yukon, locals told us to be much more afraid of moose than of bears. When a bear takes interest in you, it most likely is only after your food. On the other hand when a moose takes interest in you (especially when its ears are drawn back and head lowered), its intent is to kill you.

If you could hold the camera steady you might get some outstanding close ups.

Schultzz 01-30-2017 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wldrns (Post 255684)

To a hungry bear you ARE food. Especially in Alaska. But bears are unpredictable there and as often as not will run off. However, he is right about the moose. Don't get too close and always give it a way out. I had a bear charge me by looking into its eyes. They can really move fast. It was a bluff charge fortunately and I got away obviously, and it wasn't in NY.

Buckladd 02-01-2017 01:20 PM

My friends used to have a camp on Cedar River Road and a few years ago around July 4 they encountered a bull moose on the south end of Cedar River Flow. That can't seem to happen when I'm there. Lately, it seems a better bet is around Lake Desolation and the 1,000 Acre Swamp.

yayabrazie 02-02-2017 08:17 PM

I saw a couple up in Paul Smiths.

Buckladd 07-11-2017 05:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, it finally happened yesterday (7/10) at Cedar River Flow....

Justin 07-11-2017 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckladd (Post 260266)

Wow nice shot Buckladd! :thumbs::thumbs:

IndLk_Brett 07-12-2017 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckladd (Post 255762)
My friends used to have a camp on Cedar River Road and a few years ago around July 4 they encountered a bull moose on the south end of Cedar River Flow. That can't seem to happen when I'm there. Lately, it seems a better bet is around Lake Desolation and the 1,000 Acre Swamp.

Quote:

...Ask and ye shall recieve!

Nice shot, beautiful bull!

My Dad has been lucky enough to see bulls on two separate occasions at Cedar Rv Flow, but he has an advantage since his place is also on Cedar River Road and he gets back there fairly often.

Klinkhamer 07-14-2017 11:59 AM

Moose on Cedar River Flow

I paddle the Cedar River flow all the time and have yet to see one.
Such luck in getting that photo! Guess I better get up there one more time....

bioguide 07-14-2017 01:43 PM

Quote:

Nice, now that would be riveting...

Buckladd 07-19-2017 04:24 PM

A couple we ran into at the launch were there for the second time this summer and said they'd seen not one, but two moose out in the middle of the flow towards the south end. I may have to go back with my wife, or take her to Helldiver later this summer.