Adirondack Forum

Adirondack Forum (http://www.adkforum.com/index.php)
-   Northville Placid Trail (http://www.adkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Hiking partner (http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=14866)

ADKian 12-26-2010 11:13 PM

Hiking partner

I know it's early yet, but I wanted to get things going and set early instead of doing a lot of last minute planning. I have had a couple PMs about interest in hiking the NPT but nothing set in stone. My company shuts down for the July 4th week so that week would be good for me, but I also could use vacation time for a week earlier or later in the season. Anyone interested let me know so we can get the ball rolling. Thanks.

Ian

sky 01-24-2011 05:06 AM

I'm looking to hike at the end of August. Five, maybe six days.

ADKian 01-26-2011 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sky (Post 162470)
I'm looking to hike at the end of August. Five, maybe six days.

The whole thing?

redhawk 01-26-2011 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADKian (Post 162792)
The whole thing?

She keeps a fast pace!!

ADKian 01-26-2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redhawk (Post 162794)
She keeps a fast pace!!

Haha I guess SO! That's why I had to ask lol. I like a little bit more of a slow pace. I like to take side trips and enjoy everything it has to offer.

TBPDPTI 01-26-2011 08:28 PM

Early-mid July? Blackflies will be feasting-better you than me! :thumbsup:

ADKian 01-26-2011 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBPDPTI (Post 162814)

Yeah, they were pretty bad last year when I was on the first half around the same time. Kinda gotten used to them after living here my whole life. Not that they still don't annoy me most of them time. Have to take advantage of when I get time off from work, can't let bugs ruin my good time.

Wldrns 01-26-2011 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBPDPTI (Post 162814)

Early July, yeah. But if it is hot, (goodnews is) blackflies will wane by mid July, only to be replaced (badnews is) by hoards of relentless hungry deer flies. On the other hand, fast hiking is the best defense. I find that if I keep moving I can tolerate them, no trailside resting allowed.

dpc34 01-27-2011 09:29 AM

I did notice that there were no blackflies around the last couple of days. Enjoy this time of the year without them.....

mikesill 01-27-2011 12:09 PM

Hiked 3/4 of NPT last year...only bugs to mention where the skeeters @ carry lean-to. That was June + July... there's no bugs in the daks :-)

sky 01-29-2011 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADKian (Post 162792)
The whole thing?

Yes. Whole thing. I don't get a lot of vacation time. ;)

5-6 days is 20-25 miles a day, also known as "hike til I'm tired" and find a nice set of trees for my hammock. ;)

ADKian 03-10-2011 11:42 AM

A date of July 10th has been set for this hike if anyone else might be interested.

viewseeker 04-13-2011 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sky (Post 162949)

5-6 days is 20-25 miles a day, also known as "hike til I'm tired" and find a nice set of trees for my hammock. ;)

thats some pace.... my best day was around 18 miles all in the rain and i was bushed
Quote:

Originally Posted by ADKian (Post 166129)
A date of July 10th has been set for this hike if anyone else might be interested.

Hey, glad to see your back and planning.. hope you got some new gear and lessened the weight on that pack...

ADKian 04-14-2011 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewseeker (Post 168498)
thats some pace.... my best day was around 18 miles all in the rain and i was bushed

Hey, glad to see your back and planning.. hope you got some new gear and lessened the weight on that pack...

Yes for sure! Got a new Osprey pack and lightweight gear all around. Hit the gym every day too so I stay in shape for it. I think I am much, much more prepared this time around. You want in for any of it? Would love to have you along.

ALGonquin Bob 04-14-2011 11:57 PM

I'm planning a through-hike this year, but I'm a slow hiker - maybe do it in August or September.

viewseeker 04-15-2011 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADKian (Post 168559)
Yes for sure! Got a new Osprey pack and lightweight gear all around. Hit the gym every day too so I stay in shape for it. I think I am much, much more prepared this time around. You want in for any of it? Would love to have you along.

its possible... depends on timing.. i can only do weekends so im looking to section hike the rest...

ADKian 04-15-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALGonquin Bob (Post 168562)
I'm planning a through-hike this year, but I'm a slow hiker - maybe do it in August or September.

We're planning to do it in 9-10 days, you thinking you're going to take longer? Nothing wrong with hiking slow, you get to see so much more!

Rob, see what you can do. We're doing it from North to South so I don't know if that even appeals to you? Even if you don't get out there for this one still let me know when you're going out on sections, I would like to finish what we started last year. I'm only about a day behind you right now, hopefully I can get caught up before you start.

ALGonquin Bob 04-16-2011 12:35 AM

My plan is south to north, since my friends own a hostel in LP (Tmax&Topo) and could pick me up from the Chubb River or LP train station end of the trail. 10 days sounds about right.

Petra 04-16-2011 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sky (Post 162949)

Two years ago I did it in 8 days without rushing. Started early and ended early each day, keeping what I thought was a leisurely pace, and stayed at the lean-tos. If I didn't stay at lean-tos I would probably just keep going (next time I might avoid the lean-tos). The most I ever did was 33 miles in pouring rain with a sprained knee (I never did find any help and still I completed the thru-trail). That time I was very tired and discouraged. But when I look back, it was memorable.

I'm used to hiking alone, though I like to see people and wouldn't mind a partner who could keep up. This year I hope to be hiking in August but aside from a lake-hopping canoe circuit (in mid-August?), my plans are still vague.

ADKian 07-06-2011 01:03 PM

Well Sunday is the big day. I can't believe it's almost here. If all goes as planned I should have a good trip report for the 20th.:dance: