Adirondack Forum

Adirondack Forum (http://www.adkforum.com/index.php)
-   Northville Placid Trail (http://www.adkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Upper Benson to Whitehouse (http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=23225)

WhiskeyJack 06-12-2016 07:34 PM

Upper Benson to Whitehouse

My brother and I are planning on starting at Upper Benson and hiking to Whitehouse over the course of four days or so starting on the 19th of June. We are going to do some side trips, fishing and generally just slow going it to enjoy ourselves. We are hoping to meet up with folks on the same path and share food and fun.

If you are interested in company on your trip, join this thread or send me a PM.

Thanks!

Hard Scrabble 06-14-2016 03:53 PM

No one answered.
It's a nice walk with stopovers at Silver Lake, (leanto) Canary Pond and Mud Lake (leanto).
Four days is more than enough.
Jim

pamtnman 06-14-2016 08:17 PM

Whiskey, two of us will take to the trail either June 20th or 21st, with the aim of a through-hike. We may run into you. We, too, will be fishing a bit along the way, but our goal is to finish the trail as quickly as we can. Have fun!

WhiskeyJack 06-15-2016 07:29 PM

Nice pamtnman, have a great hike!

King Whistle 06-16-2016 05:17 AM

Stayed at Mud Lake Lean-to (which I recently 'adopted') this past Sunday. The lean-to is all but new after having been rebuilt in the last couple of years. Enjoy the walk, WJ.

WhiskeyJack 06-16-2016 09:48 AM

Thank you, King!

rbridge28570 06-26-2016 03:28 PM

Son and I want to take a Short hike from Upper Benson to Whitehouse around July 25th 2016. What's the Weather and Bug situation normally during this time of year?

dundee 07-13-2016 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbridge28570 (Post 247047)
Son and I want to take a Short hike from Upper Benson to Whitehouse around July 25th 2016. What's the Weather and Bug situation normally during this time of year?

Weather? Who knows. Be prepared for hot. I've also seen nightime temps drop into the 40's in mid-summer.

Black flies are fading out, but there are always mosquitoes and deerflies to contend with.

dundee 07-13-2016 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbridge28570 (Post 247047)

Weather? Who knows. Be prepared for hot. I've also seen nighttime temps drop into the 40's in mid-summer.

Black flies are fading out, but there are always mosquitoes and deerflies to contend with.

DSettahr 07-13-2016 02:06 PM

Go prepared for warm days and cool nights and you'll be set for anything. For backpacking just about anywhere in the Adirondacks between early June and late August, I'm fine with a 35 degree bag. I do carry a liner just in case, and I've had the opportunity to put it to use with my sleeping bag on unexpectedly cool summer nights in the past.

Bugs won't be as bad as they are earlier in the season, but they'll also still be around. I'd be surprised if you saw more than the occasional black fly, but you'll probably see mosquitoes and deer flies (and possibly no-see-ums, although they seem to be very site specific- some areas of the Adirondacks don't get them at all). A head net isn't a bad idea, just in case.