Duck Hole and a little Cold River 7/15-7/16/2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duck Hole and a little Cold River 7/15-7/16/2017

I haven't been able to spend a night in the back country for a little while, but not for lack of trying. My grand plan of 4 days circumnavigating the Seward's got washed out 4th of July weekend. For the first time in 4 or 5 years I spent the holiday weekend on the grid Fast forward to this weekend and I managed to sneak in a couple days exploring some of the locations I've been wanting to check out for a while. Having a big hike on the calendar for late August, I set my weekend on putting some respectable mileage on my legs and exploring Duck Hole and some of the Cold River Valley.

I hit the trail a little before 8am at Upper Works on Saturday just as a light rain was starting. The tough muddy trails made me feel at home and the wet brush gave me that refreshing car wash feeling as the trail narrowed. I stopped at Henderson Lake Lean-to to let the rain shower pass. I chuckled at last 2 trails signs I saw and watching a paddler circle the Lake. (The newer first sign came before the older second sign and were a half mile apart and pointing in the same direction)

I slowly and carefully worked my way to Duck Hole trying not to let the mud claim any more than my boots as a victim. Shortly before Duck Hole I nearly went for a slide but managed to keep my balance and break my hiking pole in the process As wet as I was already I would have preferred the slide. I stopped at the first Lean-to for lunch and to dry my wet feet for a bit. Although it appeared threatening several times, I saw no more rain after this.

Arriving at the Duck Hole trail register, I ran into the first person of the day. I spent some time chatting about the area with Mike Douglas and he informed me on the work that he has done lately for Lean-to rescue and the Lean-tos he has adopted for the last 30 years! When I told him I was headed for the Ouluska lean-to, he informed me that I was lucky since it had just been rebuilt a couple months ago I made sure to thank him for all that he does before moving on. All of the Lean-tos in the area were in fine condition.

I continued on to Roundeau Hermitage passing a couple groups on my way. I spent a little time exploring the area and finding some stellar views but my wet feet ached (quite literally) for the Ouluska Lean-to. I ran into a thru hiker in view of the lean-to and chatted for a bit before he moved on. The next morning I ran into him again at one of the Cold Brook Lean-tos and wished him well on his NPT finish (he was a little disappointed to be leaving the woods).

It was only 4pm when I arrived so I set to work drying my clothes, procuring firewood, taking a few casts into the river and perusing the fine compilation of log books. The lean-to site was rather thick with mosquitoes so I took my meal to the nearby water crossing where lumber was awaiting construction of a new bridge. I read in the log book that a few fine men saved one of the stacks of lumber from floating away during the deluge 4th of July weekend (thanks guys!). The evening passed at a relaxed pace and I dozed off to the soothing sounds of the river.

I awoke refreshed and enjoyed an uneventful return trip under friendly skies.

Great TR!

Awesome picts!

Thanks
    Tick Magnet

Comment

Originally posted by Tick Magnet View Post
      Great TR!

Awesome picts!

Thanks
      I'll second that!
      "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

Definitely a great TR!!
        Makes me feel like I was there...thanks

Comment

Great trip report Boy does it look different, The last time I was in Duckhole Bluequill an I canoed in just before the dam went out. I don't think the stream is deep enough to canoe back there now.

Comment

Originally posted by Cold River Bob View Post
            Great trip report Boy does it look different, The last time I was in Duckhole Bluequill an I canoed in just before the dam went out. I don't think the stream is deep enough to canoe back there now.
            This wasn't your boat I found a few miles down river was it?

Comment

I remember seeing that canoe when it was still up in a tree.
              "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Comment

Working...
              X