Adirondack Forum

Adirondack Forum (
-   Adirondack Firetowers (
-   -   Firetower Challenge (

Acke61 07-27-2014 03:54 PM

Firetower Challenge
Anyone doing the firetower challenge?

Would like to chat with others who are in the process of it...

I just finished #8.

tvengineer 08-05-2014 03:12 PM

Just started myself, only done Kane Mountain #24. Would like to work on the rest.

hookman33 08-05-2014 08:30 PM

I've done 18 in the Adirondacks and 1 in the Catskills. I'm looking forward to Lyon, Woodhull and Adams later this summer. I enjoy the firetowers -- fewer people, pleasant hikes and some great views.

46er2B 08-05-2014 09:05 PM

I have two but would join others if the chance were there

tvengineer 08-07-2014 03:20 PM

Also willing to join up with people, Im in Utica area

46er2B 08-08-2014 03:49 AM

I have 2
I have: Poko and Hurricane would love to do more. Going up Poko again Saturday evening to be on top for the full moon. May stay and camp, may come down but will be fun either way!

trent 08-08-2014 08:31 AM

I'm planning on climbing my GF and I's 23rd tower this weekend, including the Catskills which we've completed.

Some things I've found are:
-Some are incredibly easy (Bald, Kane, Belfry, Cathedral Rock)
-Some are a heckuva climb (Allen, Snowy)
-Some have great views (Hurricane, St. Regis, Allen)
-Compared to some with amazing views, it sounds kind of snotty, but some have 'meh' views (Kane, Bald, Cathedral Rock)
-The Catskills are no joke (My first time there. We did 5 towers in 3 days. It was tiring. The trails have a pretty high gain, some around 2000).

Overall they're really fun. We've had a great time with them.

trent 08-13-2014 03:12 PM

Completed the ADK FT Challenege and the HAMCO FT challenge this past weekend. I thoroughly enjoyed driving my 4-door sedan down the access roads to the trailheads for Pillsbury and Vanderwhacker. Along with some dirt-roadin' on Corey's road and the roads through Moose River Plains, I owe my car some past due servicing as a way of saying thanks.

bill1962 09-20-2014 02:33 PM

My wife and I are doing the FT challenge. So far we have 5 under our belts and are doing Adams tomorrow. Lots of fun, not many people.

future46er 10-20-2014 10:24 AM

Just completed the Saranac Lake 6er Challenge and have begun the ADK and Catskill Firetowers- total of 3 thus far! Onward and upward!

USN_Hiker 11-16-2014 08:03 PM

I just started the FT Challenge as well. I just did Hadley today and Bald last month. Researching my next one in a few weeks I hope.

tanston 04-27-2015 05:53 PM

I started this with my son last year (7 years old) as a way to get him more interested in hiking. So far we've done Hadley and uhhh Hadley. Is there a good list somewhere that ranks the difficulty? I'd like to find some other stuff around the same difficulty or easier for us to tackle next.

dockless 04-28-2015 05:02 PM

Tanston, Don't know where you live, but near Watkins Glen there's a fire tower at Sugar Hill State Forest that you drive to and can camp next close to Watkins Glen, that you can hear the fireworks from the racetrack some evenings.... Last time I was there the Forest Service was building flush toilets, but not showers. There was also a Geo-cache right across the street from the fire tower that would be an easy way to introduce your son to finding them..... BTY camping there is free.

There's also many hiking trails used by people with bikes and horses. The big trailers with the horses park on top of the hill... tent campers down on the grass.

Might want to contact the ranger to confirm that there's no archery tournament ... such as the zone or NY State Championship the weekend as they get crowded.

bridgeman 05-19-2015 03:49 PM

Used to climb the Padlock Hill fire tower every summer, as it was located close to our cabin in Tompkins County. Then the state moved it to the state fairgrounds. I want to go up it to see if my name is still in the cab.

I had my own fire tower challenge in mind. See how many towers you can visit in a 24 hour period. The clock starts at the base of the first tower.

Anyone ever attempt anything like this?

G898kyle 05-20-2015 06:32 AM

Firetower Challenge
In the process...hiked kane ,pokeomoonshine black, hadley, red hill, hitting belfry this weekend..anyone know if you have to do it in certain amount of time? Same year? With 2 or 5 years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bill1962 05-26-2015 12:37 PM

My wife and I have done 11. We just did Blue and Bald this past weekend.

adkjack 05-26-2015 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by bridgeman (Post 231793)
...I want to go up it to see if my name is still in the cab.

I certainly hope not. I cannot understand why people think it is alright to write or worse carve there name, initials or anything else into a historic structure, especially when volunteer groups work hard on restoration and maintenance.

Honey Badger 06-03-2015 08:37 PM

For anyone doing or considering the FTC, "Views from on High" is the bible.

future46er 08-24-2015 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by future46er (Post 223875)
Just completed the Saranac Lake 6er Challenge and have begun the ADK and Catskill Firetowers- total of 3 thus far! Onward and upward!

Now have completed all the Catskill towers and have 3 of the ADK towers.
Hurricane is a "not-to-be missed" gem!

BRFvolpe 09-09-2015 02:41 PM

Stillwater Mountain Fire Tower on the Big Moose Rd. between Stillwater Reservoir and Big Moose Lake will be added to the Fire Tower Challenge when it's renovation is completed next summer. Friends of Stillwater Fire Tower will make it all possible. Work weekends scheduled 9/26-27, 10/3-4/15. Contact, or "LIKE" on Facebook.