Adirondack Forum

Adirondack Forum (http://www.adkforum.com/index.php)
-   Northville Placid Trail (http://www.adkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Hiking partner? (http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=23143)

karenecho 05-22-2016 05:45 PM

Hiking partner?

I'm planning to start in LP on July 1st and need to finish in 9 days but I'm aiming to do it in 7. My regular hiking buddy can't make it and as a solo female, that homeless hobo character mentioned on another thread kinda freaks me out. I walk reasonably fast and like to start pretty early in the mornings and finish at around 5:00.

Schultzz 05-22-2016 11:33 PM

A hiking buddy is a good idea. So is bear spray. Not for the bear though. :)

Seriously, a hiking or camping buddy is a good idea for many good reasons. Safety, Company, Helping Hands, Emergency, Sharing expenses, etc.

Hard Scrabble 06-13-2016 04:01 PM

"K"
With all respect, the internet is not the place to advertise for a hiking partner with whom you intend to spend nine nights in the woods.
Jim

JohnnyVirgil 06-14-2016 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble (Post 246594)
"K"
With all respect, the internet is not the place to advertise for a hiking partner with whom you intend to spend nine nights in the woods.
Jim

Where else would you go? I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that she's looking for another female.

Zach 06-14-2016 03:13 PM

Quote:

"K"
Jim

"J" (or should it be "H" "S"?)
As the fellow famously said, "I rob banks because that's where the money is." I think the same principle applies in this case. The Internet is where the largest number of people are, nowadays.
Zach

Justin 06-14-2016 03:38 PM

Karen,
You may also want to join & ask any NPT related questions over on the "Northville Placid Trail" facebook page, if you haven't already. Much more good & friendly NPT info, photos, reports & stories being shared over there than here.
- Justin Farrell

Hard Scrabble 06-14-2016 03:48 PM

I agree, Justin.
There are many outdoor related (and safer) organizations to reference than the internet.
Jim

Justin 06-14-2016 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble (Post 246632)
I agree, Justin.
There are many outdoor related (and safer) organizations to reference than the internet.
Jim

Jim,
Respectfully, if you could pass along some of those as an example for the original poster it may be helpful.
- Justin

Hard Scrabble 06-14-2016 04:39 PM

Justin.
I'll ask you flat out, would you accept a partner for a ten day hike that advertised on the internet ???
Jim

Neil 06-14-2016 05:02 PM

Quote:

"K"
Jim

I suspect they can decide on their own where to look for partners and then make their judgments regarding compatibility after doing a couple of shorter outings together.

Like someone else said the internet is where the people are.

I have hiked with about 100 different people, all whom met "over the internet". So far haven't had a bad experience and have gone on to do backpacks with many of them.

Justin 06-14-2016 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble (Post 246638)
Justin.
I'll ask you flat out, would you accept a partner for a ten day hike that advertised on the internet ???
Jim

Ten days would be impossible for me, but I have indeed been on a few multi-day backpacking trips with complete strangers (male & female) through a meetup.com group that I'm a member of.
So far every trip that I've been on has been very enjoyable, and the people that I've met through these experiences have been very friendly & polite, and I now consider them friends of mine. Same goes for here, I've met many great friends through this website that I now enjoy hiking, camping, paddling, fishing, snowshoeing with.
I get what you're saying though, Jim...This world is full of wackos, but many of us who enjoy the Adirondacks are not all bad people.
- Justin

pamtnman 06-14-2016 08:20 PM

Karen, PM sent.