Adirondack Forum

Adirondack Forum (http://www.adkforum.com/index.php)
-   Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks (http://www.adkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Hidden gems in the southern adirondacks (http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=19441)

GTSbrookieADK 11-01-2013 02:12 PM

Hidden gems in the southern adirondacks

Hey everyone,

I'm located just south of Saratoga in Clifton Park, and I'd love to find some streams in the southern portion of the Adirondacks that I could take short day trips to. I really like streams that are off the beaten path, and don't mind driving in dirt roads or having to hike/climb through the woods to get to some beautiful brookies. Obviously no one likes giving up their favorite spots, but if you could point me in the direction of some nice small streams or could drop a few names it'd give me a great place to start.

Thanks!!

vtflyfish 11-01-2013 02:47 PM

Welcome to our little forum. Please be aware that we're a little cautious about handing over fishing spot info on the first date. We're also reluctant to name specific places because word gets around fast on the internet and more than one spot has been ruined that way.

That said, go out and start exploring. Virtually every stream in the Adirondacks holds what you're looking for.:)

Limekiln 11-01-2013 03:04 PM

They wouldn't be hidden gems if they were all over the internet, now would they?

STONERLAKE 11-01-2013 04:08 PM

GTSbrookie, I just sent you a private message. Heed this advice, when I got on here last year I was crucified for sharing some data, and learned quickly not to speak of individual fishing locations!!!

vtflyfish 11-01-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STONERLAKE (Post 209305)
GTSbrookie, I just sent you a private message. Heed this advice, when I got on here last year I was crucified for sharing some data, and learned quickly not to speak of individual fishing locations!!!

Were we really that bad? I recall a couple of whippings out behind the woodshed but nothing that would cause permanent injury or leave a mark.:D

Edb 46 er 11-01-2013 08:28 PM

I lost my marriage over a suggestion!

BleeckerMtn 11-02-2013 10:05 AM

Before people start sending GTS off to streams that sound suspiciously like they belong in the OZerondacks, lets welcome him to the forum. That said, I have heard of a few times where members have been seen the business end of a sock full of oranges for giving up the goods on the first date.

GTS, what kind of fishing do you like to do? Fly, spin, dynamite? You should also note that October 15th marked the end of the regular season for trout season in NY. There are still lots of streams that you can check out throughout the colder months, but you'll need to check out the NY fishing regulations to make sure that you are fishing legal water. There is one such stretch of water near you, but you'll have to work for it. Here are some clues:

It loosely translates to "Stick River"
It is right on the border between your state and the state of a guy who exclusively fishes with worms.
The Witches play golf on its shores a bit downstream.

Can you figure it out?

P.S. don't male brookies in spawning color kind of look like ruby slippers?

Edb 46 er 11-02-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTSbrookieADK (Post 209301)
Hey everyone,

I'm located just south of Saratoga in Clifton Park, and I'd love to find some streams in the southern portion of the Adirondacks that I could take short day trips to. I really like streams that are off the beaten path, and don't mind driving in dirt roads or having to hike/climb through the woods to get to some beautiful brookies. Obviously no one likes giving up their favorite spots, but if you could point me in the direction of some nice small streams or could drop a few names it'd give me a great place to start.

Thanks!!

Welcome to the forum!

vtflyfish 11-02-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleeckerMtn (Post 209342)
Before people start sending GTS off to streams that sound suspiciously like they belong in the OZerondacks, lets welcome him to the forum. That said, I have heard of a few times where members have been seen the business end of a sock full of oranges for giving up the goods on the first date.

GTS, what kind of fishing do you like to do? Fly, spin, dynamite? You should also note that October 15th marked the end of the regular season for trout season in NY. There are still lots of streams that you can check out throughout the colder months, but you'll need to check out the NY fishing regulations to make sure that you are fishing legal water. There is one such stretch of water near you, but you'll have to work for it. Here are some clues:

It loosely translates to "Stick River"
It is right on the border between your state and the state of a guy who exclusively fishes with worms.
The Witches play golf on its shores a bit downstream.

Can you figure it out?

P.S. don't male brookies in spawning color kind of look like ruby slippers?

Very well done. Except maybe for the worm guy part.

It's a good suggestion and great water, more on your side of the fence than mine.

GTSbrookieADK 11-03-2013 01:17 PM

Guys,

Thanks so much for your quick responses! As a rookie in the group I think I should share a little about myself. I'm 23, marketing director for a lifestyle-athletic wear brand in Saratoga Springs called GTS Clothing. When I'm not working on my business I'm fishing. I grew up fishing mostly around the capital region - Mohawk River, Thompsons Lake, Waterveliet Resevior (when it was fishable). Of course I took trips into the Adirondacks, but not very often, and it was to places like Green pond, Jabe pond, and the Saranac area. I also make the 12 hour journey up to Chibougamau, Canada to jig for massive walleyes for a week every year. in 2009 I started at the University of New Hampshire and fished trout streams for the first time. Now it's all I think about! I only spin fish for now, and as far as what I'm willing to do to find brookies, there's no limits. I also just acquired a cabin on Eagle Lake in the Pharoah Lake wilderness area, so I'm going to start exploring up there as much as possible.

I appreciate the info some of you have already given up! I apologize if I offended anyone in my post asking for tips, and I look forward to being a part of this community.

Thanks - Dan.

vtflyfish 11-03-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTSbrookieADK (Post 209379)
I appreciate the info some of you have already given up! I apologize if I offended anyone in my post asking for tips, and I look forward to being a part of this community.

Thanks - Dan.

I don't think there was any offense taken on anybody's part. Having a place next to the Pharaoh area is a great gateway. Now, go get yourself a fly rod and some means of water transport. You are in for a lifetime of adventure chasing brookies!

ADKpikebuster 11-03-2013 07:23 PM

When i'm looking for new spots to fish i just use Google maps and look for different ponds that are off the beaten path. I then go to http://www.adirondacklakessurvey.org/ and click on historical ALS data then I look at the body of water that i'm interested in fishing. It gives a species list of the fish in that particular lake or pond and a min/max depth of the water. Keep in mind that the sample population taken from the lakes is around 25 years old so its not up to date however its a great starting point. Then from there i load up the ol' radisson pick up a six pack of the best and send it for the woods

serotonin 11-04-2013 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtflyfish (Post 209385)
Now, go get yourself a fly rod and some means of water transport.

Do hip-boot waders qualify as water transport?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTSbrookieADK (Post 209301)
I'd love to find some streams in the southern portion of the Adirondacks that I could take short day trips to. I really like streams that are off the beaten path...

vt... this might sound crazy, but... not everybody likes to fish streams with a means of water transport strapped to their back.

I have an image of vt, fishing a 15 foot stream with a 17 foot canoe on his head.
He is double-hauling because Glen is sitting on the wrong end of the canoe.

GTSbrookieADK 11-04-2013 08:34 AM

thanks again for the advice! i have boats, canoes, waders, etc...so I have access to most of what I'd need for most trips.

vtflyfish 11-04-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serotonin (Post 209401)
Do hip-boot waders qualify as water transport?

vt... this might sound crazy, but... not everybody likes to fish streams with a means of water transport strapped to their back.

I have an image of vt, fishing a 15 foot stream with a 17 foot canoe on his head.
He is double-hauling because Glen is sitting on the wrong end of the canoe.

Glen is truly the Albatross hung 'round my neck.

GTSbrookieADK 11-08-2013 04:31 PM

Had great luck at the Batten Kill this past week. I know it's not technically in the Adirondacks, but has anyone had good luck on the kayaderosseras this time of year? It's super close to where I work so I figured I'd check it out in the next few days. Probably by the Milton/Balston Spa area.

Adirondackman 11-09-2013 08:21 AM

You can catch fish in the Kayaderosseras all year. Mostly smaller stocked Browns but there are some nice size holdovers throughout. I have caught them there in every month except January. Fish dark Nymphs size 12-16 in the slower, deeper pools. The best thing about fishing this time of the year is that you always have the place to yourself.

GTSbrookieADK 11-29-2013 03:54 PM

Just stopped by the Kayaderosseras this morning by Rock City Falls. Only fished the one pool right after the falls for about a half hour, tried a few different flies with no luck. I'm going to try again tomorrow I think and venture into the woods with some waders to look for some deeper pools. Any tips/techniques for fly fishing in this weather? I'm new to the world of flies.

John Labatt 11-29-2013 10:30 PM

Hidden gems? Somebody found hidden 30 packs in the Adirondacks?

VirginiaTransplant 11-30-2013 09:36 PM

Kaydeross

I've been to the kaydeross in the ballston spa Milton area a few times in the last 2 weeks. Rock city falls is too fished out. Put on the waders and hop in around rt50 by the bridge at the bottom of the hill and work upstream. Bringing in about 5-6 brpokes and browns a trip fishing articulated streamers. Brown/olive with some flashyness. Tight lines!