Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOW!! It sure has been a while Connie Bear Orion! How have you been?

Comment

I was speaking with a sheep farmer in East Hebron, NY. She saw a lion about a week ago near the side of the road. She told me she has seen bobcats many times in her life and there was no mistaking that this was in fact a lion. What she told me was confirmed by other farmers in the area who saw it as well. Obviously, take second hand information for what it is, but I would want to trust someone who is concerned about the livelihood of her sheep...

Comment

Originally posted by jwild View Post
        I was speaking with a sheep farmer in East Hebron, NY. She saw a lion about a week ago near the side of the road. She told me she has seen bobcats many times in her life and there was no mistaking that this was in fact a lion. What she told me was confirmed by other farmers in the area who saw it as well. Obviously, take second hand information for what it is, but I would want to trust someone who is concerned about the livelihood of her sheep...
        statistically, the only thing sheep, other livestock, pets, dogs and housecats in nys and the rest of the country worry about are homo sapiens a.

some folks even worry about their dogs, cats and other pets being taken by mountain lions, wolves, coyotes and wild canid hybrids when statistically homo sapiens a. euthanizes (millions) more pets each year than all large carnivores combined ever will.
        , blackhawk
        Give a man/woman or child a fish or meat and feed them for a day. Teach them how to fish or hunt and feed them for a lifetime - and they'll never forget you.

My photos cannot be used without my written permission.

Comment

Just curious....what does putting my suffering and cancer-ridden dog to sleep have to do with a farmer concerned about a mountain lion stalking his sheep in Hebron?

Comment

I hate to engage in this topic since I do not have photographs to prove what I have seen. That said, as someone who has seen them in NYS, I fell obligated to continue reporting this until there is other confirmation.
            I know what I have seen, I am regarded as credible in all of my dealings. I am versed in all North American mammals and I have seen these animals both in captivity and in the wild.
            A number of years ago while I was driving on route 88 I saw a cougar sitting on a rock cut East of Schenevus. There were other sightings reported in that general area for several years after I saw it. I am 100% positive about what I saw.

More recently I saw a black cat on the West side of Rochester. I watched it with binoculars from 120 yards away. There was another person that saw it. He is equally credible. He was the first person to spot it. It walked into the woods while he as trying to get a camera to take pictures of it. I was not able to find any tracks where it had walked.
            I reported both cats to the DEC with the expected results. With the recent sighting I contacted each local game farm and zoo to learn if they were aware of anyone who had lost and reported a cat or if they were aware of anyone that was in possession of one in a private collection. They were not aware of one and neither was the DEC.

I know that every time I join one of these conversations and report what I saw that I damage my credibility. However, I know what I saw and as previously noted, I am 100% certain of it.

Yes, I am able to identify bobcats, house cats, coyotes, weasels and woodchucks.

However you choose to side on this and whether or not you choose to believe that cougars do or do not pass through our state, they do.....I am not convinced that they breed here but these critters can and do wander far and wide. There is nothing that could prevent them from being here....

Comment

"I know that every time I join one of these conversations and report what I saw that I damage my credibility. However, I know what I saw and as previously noted, I am 100% certain of it."

I wouldn't worry about damaging your credibility. I believe you. Wolves or Cougars or Sasquatch or even Glen could be seen in the Addacks. Just because the state or others do not give credence to these sightings does not mean that they may not exist whether passing through or thriving in. Could be Glen in a Sasquatch suit carrying his "over the limit" catch back to Long Island.

But seriously, just about anything is possible whether it is probable or not. Thanks for your post.
              Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

We in Michigan are having cougar expand into our state. I have heard reports of sighting for quite some time, but now the state is acknowledging that there are cougars here.

Here is a recent game camera photo, that the MDNR apparently has acknowledged as legitimate.

I am sure as the population expands, management will be very contentious. Most Upper Peninsula residents are in favor of managing the wolf population. Wolves were delisted in Michigan, and the DNR by law was required to have a hunting season based upon their own scientific management population models. The hunting season was not successful in reaching the desired take of wolves from selected management areas. Then groups that were opposed to wolf population control found a receptive federal judge in Ohio to to rule that the delisting of the wolf from endangered was improper, based on the fact there was no wolf population in southern Michigan. I wish I was lying, but that is the absurdity of endangered species game management.

I would think that cougars will eventually expand into NYS. I think it is best for the game managers to deny their existence as long as possible. The unofficial things I read about cougars in Michigan include reports of females with kittens. I hope my state continues to call the population transient, until it is well established. Just my opinion, but I believe there are a majority of people in this country that have formed their wildlife management opinions watching Walt Disney cartoons!

Comment

I got one on trail cam yesterday. Just tried to post the pic in the other mtn lion thread. I dont think it worked.

Comment

Originally posted by jmg343 View Post
                    I got one on trail cam yesterday. Just tried to post the pic in the other mtn lion thread. I dont think it worked.
                    Would love to see the image please repost if you can...
                    The more wilderness in the Adirondacks, the better.

Comment

Originally posted by Gman View Post
                      That is not even close. At least there were substantial bear populations nearby. The closest known cougar population almost 1000 miles away. You'd have a far better chance seeing a real wolf in the ADKS than a cougar.

I think sightings are mistakes or captive animals. There are hundreds of illegally held Cougars in North America.

I also don't think there were ever that many in the ADKS. When you look at the bounties paid out by the state the number is surprisingly low.
                      Worth noting; predator populations are "always" small as compared to their prey (think sharks and prey fish). That being said male cougars which disperse to avoid other cougars territory have a range from 50 to 150 sq miles. If you average 100miles per cougar that's 90 (males) for 9000 sq miles. When you look at the amount of bounties paid (as disgusting as that insane bounty was) it points to the population size being about right as compared to the size of the park. Before non indigenous people showed up I would guess there was exactly the right amount of cougars as the terrain naturally had carrying capacity to support. Assuming the Puma population was small (after they were intentionally destroyed) is a tough sell IMO...
                      The more wilderness in the Adirondacks, the better.

Comment

Originally posted by Fisheater View Post
                        I would think that cougars will eventually expand into NYS. I think it is best for the game managers to deny their existence as long as possible. The unofficial things I read about cougars in Michigan include reports of females with kittens. I hope my state continues to call the population transient, until it is well established. Just my opinion, but I believe there are a majority of people in this country that have formed their wildlife management opinions watching Walt Disney cartoons!
                        I don't subscribe to the notion that the best course of action for any State department is to purposely lie to the taxpayers of a state and mislead them. Ignorance is bliss; people can't handle the truth.

If cougars exist, then deal with the issue in a straightforward manner.

Comment

2nd try

trail cam pic of mtn. lion. If this doesnt work and someone wants to PM me their email address, I will send them the pic and they can post it.

I dont know why it wont post. Ive posted pics on several other forums and never had an issue.

Its a .jpg (157 Bytes) and appears to be uploading successfully. But, then, doesn't appear. What gives?
                          Attached Files

Comment

Where in Rochester? I live in Monroe County...I heard on the police scanner that a very large black cat described as a puma was spotted in Gennesee Valley Park

Comment

Originally posted by jmg343 View Post
                              trail cam pic of mtn. lion. If this doesnt work and someone wants to PM me their email address, I will send them the pic and they can post it.

I dont know why it wont post. Ive posted pics on several other forums and never had an issue.

Its a .jpg (157 Bytes) and appears to be uploading successfully. But, then, doesn't appear. What gives?
                              PM sent...
                              My YouTube channel

Comment

Originally posted by shawil527 View Post
                                Where in Rochester? I live in Monroe County...I heard on the police scanner that a very large black cat described as a puma was spotted in Gennesee Valley Park
                                On Paragon Drive off of Shepard Road on the West side. The cat appeared in a field behind Superior Tech., wallked along the top of a drain to the SE, turned briefly towards the Hover-Davis building and then crossed into the narrow stretch of woods adjacent to 531. We lost sight of it after it went through the fence.
                                Last edited by mgc; 07-25-2016, 08:56 AM. Reason: two f's in off

Comment

Working...
                                X