Thread: Marcy Oct 27
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2018, 08:47 AM   #12
tenderfoot

I think it was just last year when Neil embarked on a winter odyssey - climb the 100 highest peaks in ADK's within a 3 month winter period - Dec21-Mar21.

His project site is here.
His writings on fitness are here.
He has donated an ebook on the project here.

I'm 53, was way heavier than I should be, and hike with my daughter. I would never consider hopping out on the field with professional (or even High School) football, hockey, soccer, etc players either. Was not in shape, did not know the rules, have not been taught the needed skills, did not have the equipment, etc. Good chance if I did I would get hurt, let down fellow players, not have a good time or require outside assistance. Well, in some ways ADK hiking is the same. Not as severe as my example but in some ways similar. The gentleman I passed in sweat pants, 'normal' down coat and no pack on the way to Marcy on a day with 30F temps and freezing rain was not having as good a time as I was.

So I pick up tips on skills and rules here. I am always adding to gear closet. Most items not crazy expensive (ex wish to try Trailboss's food-service glove vapor barrier trick next). And I started losing weight and working out. I am of the age where it is easy enough to attribute aches and pains and limitations to "getting old" but much of those issues are weight related and as such reversible to some extent.

Sorry - this reply is longer than needed. My point is Neal's epic travels encouraged me to drop some pounds to become a more responsible hiker. And the last couple of hikes have been much more enjoyable.

I really like the "Leave No Trace" ethics. And as my daughter points out a fat guy laying across the trail clutching his chest is a "trace."

PS I'm not saying one needs to be in tip top shape to enjoy hiking in the ADK's. Know your limits and work within them, pushing a bit now and then. I really like the recent 29'r post. Less traveled peaks, shorter hikes, every one with a view.