Lowville area cottage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowville area cottage

Looking for a cottage that sleeps 8 or more within a 30 minute radius (approximately) from Lowville. Either the week of July 17 or August 18. Any leads would be appreciated, thanks!

When our children were too young for canoe trips and back packing we rented on Brantingham a few times...
    There are lot's of rentals available there...
    That's plenty close enough to Lowville.

Comment

Thanks, good lead!

Comment

Maybe you are already dialed in but in case you aren't, stop in at the Meat Market in Croghan...for some Croghan Bologna..
        Now that it's for sale all over the North Country I'm not trying to keep it a secret anymore

Comment

Go on Thursday and get squeaky fresh cheese curd (it is made on Thursdays). Nothing better. As a kid, I used to get it still warm directly from the cheese factory. If you like Croghan Bologna, you will really like Eddie's version of the same stuff. Finer grain and I like it better, even though i grew up on CB. Eddie broke away from CB and started his own version. Find it at Eddies Meat Market not far away on Rte 812 in the little community of Indian River. Cheese curd there too.
          "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

I second the opinion about Eddie's version of bologna being better. If you head to Croghan stop at Wishy's for ice cream.
            If you need any other advice about the Lowville/Croghan area, feel free to ask. We have a camp there.

Comment

As long as ice cream was mentioned...if you venture down Boonville way, stop at Mercer's Dairy. Good stuff.

Comment

Oh but you will never get larger scoops of ice cream anywhere other than at Wishy's. They are truly huge.
                "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

You had me at ice cream.... all great suggestions guys, keep them coming please!

Comment

Originally posted by Wldrns View Post
                    If you like Croghan Bologna, you will really like Eddie's version of the same stuff. Finer grain and I like it better, even though i grew up on CB. Eddie broke away from CB and started his own version. Find it at Eddies Meat Market not far away on Rte 812 in the little community of Indian River.
                    Hm... first and foremost, Eddies isn't Croghan Bologna...it's Indian River Bologna.... but seriously, I find Eddies to be too finely ground and differently flavored. If you have not tried the stuff, start with the one from Croghan and then try Eddies.
                    And to make sure that I had it fresh in my mind, I stopped at Eddies yesterday and picked up a ring. After sampling both I wish I had picked up another ring in Croghan.
                    To be fair, Eddies is a nice butcher shop and worth a stop if you are on the way through. It's just not my choice for the bologna.

Comment

sorry, I happen to prefer the finer grind and flavor of Eddies. The flavor is actually very similar to the original. I had been eating the original Croghan version since i was a small lad. When i discovered Eddies a few years ago, I found I liked it better. to each his own.

Comment

Originally posted by Wldrns View Post
                        I had been eating the original Croghan version since i was a small lad. ..........to each his own.
                        Yup...for over 50 years in my case. My wife also prefers the Croghan over Eddies...
                        Gave half of the Eddies to my neighbors...they hadn't had Croghan style bologna before. They liked it. I'm not telling them I held the good stuff back

Comment

the large pieces of unground gristle in the original CB get stuck in my teeth.

Comment

Another place to check out in the area is Miller's Meats. It's on Number 4 Rd. in Watson, just a little east of Lowville

Comment

The OP is probably long gone by now, but since you mentioned Miller's I'll add that I also like them. We've been taking our annual pig there to be processed the last several years, and they do a very nice job.
                              Zach

Comment

Working...
                              X