View Single Post
Old 01-25-2004, 10:40 PM   #32
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Hi, I'm Redhawk and I'm (OOOPS)

Guess I'm the old fart here! 62 Years old on the 15th.

I'll answer the question before it is asked, Redhawk IS my real name. I am 50% Minniconjou (Lakota, or Sioux), 25% Nez perce and 25% Caucasian. I was raised on the Cheyenne River reservation in SD until I was six years old and then my Mother brought me east. I currently reside in Wells NY in the Southern ADK's. I have been here for five years.

I am retired, although I work for a contracter now and then and in the Spring I do BTI Applications in the Wells/Hope/Benson area.

I have been in the outdoors as long as I can remember and I get out into the wild as often as I can. I have spent time in the wilderness in many states, have worked as a camp cook, guide, and taught Outward Bound classes.

I prefer Bushwhacks to trails, mostly because I prefer solitude. My Longest Hike was in 1995. I hiked from Whitewood, SD to Sequoia National park in California. Total time out was seven months, I had no place I had to be and no time that I had to be there.

My most recent long hike was a portion of the Northville-Placid Trail, from Averyville to Blue Mountain Lake about 56 miles. I had intended to go all the wy to piseco but the weather was just too rainy and miserable for a week.

I have emphysema and it has only caused me to slow down a little although I have never set a fast pace. (Once you get to the wilderness, why rush to get out?).

I sometimes think that I might be pushing my luck now, but then I ask myself, what better place to finish this journey and begin the next one?
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote