View Single Post
Old 10-14-2018, 01:06 PM   #8
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I got my first bike at the age of 14 at the dump in Maine, they had an area for things that were possibly repairable or of interest to people and you could buy bicycles for $1.50. I bought three or four and took parts off some to put on the frame I wanted to keep. I also got a road bike at that time during bulky trash week in Portland, it wasn't big enough for me but was in pretty good shape. In my later years I bought a number of bikes at auctions and yard sales but never paid more than $20, and sometimes people just gave me bikes that they didn't want. I gave bikes to people who were looking for one, and gave some to a charitable group in Rochester that distributes them to people who need them. In 2011 I went off the deep end and paid $500 for a 1998 Trek 520 with a large frame on eBay. I bought that after I started going on longer trips to the Adirondacks each summer, when I wanted something very reliable. It's been a great bike for me and I have put a few hundred into it over the years, replacing things as I wore them out. Old fashioned metal frame bikes are pretty easy to fix and work on, even for people who are not very mechanically inclined. Just to ride around locally you should be able to get a decent used road bike, mountain bike or hybrid for well under $100. I always have a plastic box in my front carrier with a few tools to tighten anything that may get loose as I'm riding, and a couple of spare inner tubes and a patch kit and pump in case I get a flat. The book at the link below was very helpful to me as a teenager when I was learning to work on bicycles, I don't have my copy anymore as I gave it to someone when I no longer needed it, but it's written in a very easy to understand style, and instead of photos which almost never actually look like the bike parts you have it has sketches which are more universally applicable.
Zach
https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/all-in-one-bike-repair-manual-for-both-road-and-mountain-bikes_tom-cuthbertson
Zach is online now   Reply With Quote