View Single Post
Old 09-10-2017, 10:08 PM   #5
Trail Boss

If you move the slider to fade-out the 1895 map and fade-in the 1955 map, you'll see the topography of the entire area changes dramatically.
  • Hills shift from one place to another.
  • The area east of the junction completely changes shape.
  • Split Rock Mtn moves south and occupies the northern part of New Pond.
  • Cranberry Pond moves south, Lilypad Pond moves west.
That's far too much geological change for one century! Much more plausible to say the 1895 survey was a gross approximation of the area; the Boquet didn't move (appreciably) but was simply drawn in the wrong place.

I agree the road sign might be related to whatever preceded modern-day routes 73 and 9. I doubt the sign is a hundred years old but it could date back many decades, say into the 1940's? It has a particular style (notably the top-cap) that ought to be recognizable to someone.

The vertical holes in the sign must mean something as well. They're not bullet holes but neat, rounded rectangles. Perhaps they were used to hold individual metal letters to the sign? BTW, there are two sheets of steel forming the sign (one for each side). Again, that must be indicative of road signs from a certain time period.

The size of the trees growing near the concrete posts is an indicator of age. I'm no expert but they don't look older than 50 years (if that). So they fit the narrative of the unimproved road shown in the 1955 survey.