View Single Post
Old 09-29-2015, 01:37 PM   #4
montcalm
Mobster

I was going to respond earlier but I agree. Use different skis for the resort vs. the backcountry.

If your focus is skiing steeps, then you might be looking for more of an AT setup, although plenty of people do this with a light tele rig.

The switchback binding, light plastic boots like a T2, T4 or Excursion, and a ski like the Vector BC are pretty much the UL setup these days. A ski like the Annum will do the trick too but it's more of a decambered, fat Nordic ski than a modern powder ski. These also have scales so you'll be able to ski the flats and shallower slopes faster without skins. Skins are still needed for steep climbing.

These skis can be skied at a resort, but most of them suck on hardpack. And like RDL says, most skis that are damped for hardpack, are going to be too heavy and too skinny for the BC.

There are some crossover skis and AT binding setups, but they tend to be obese and are really going to suck on the flats. I tend to think they serve most better as side country getters i.e. those who ski lifts but want to venture behind the ropes from time to time. If you want to ski in the High Peaks and surrounding areas, you are better off going for a lighter weight, full BC setup.

As you'll note on Dave's page, there are also all sorts of lighter weight, more XC versions of BC skis. Some can be skied on big terrain, but most are more suited for touring and low angle glade skiing. It sounds like you are going to be pushing beyond that, but people have, can and do ski steep stuff with skis like that. It just isn't the norm nowadays with ski, boot and binding tech.

First figure out if you want to freeheel or use AT. That will be the biggest factor. If it's AT, def look used. You might be able to find something that will be tolerable on a powder day at the resort. Or you might find an obese set that might be tolerable for a close slide.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote