No announcement yet.

Northville-Placid trail experiences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i did a solo end-end trip in 97. i carried about 44 lbs and did not resupply. i took 7 days to do the trail and then hitched a ride to heart lake where i hiked the range to keene valley, another 2 days. it was a great trip. what would i do different? i would take more time and use drop bags for resupply so i could lighten the load.
    Paul

Comment

Npt

We just finished a 9 day thru hike at the end of October '04. It was a great time of year. No bugs, not that much mud, and few people on the trail.

A few pointers:

1. We went from Upper Benson to Mud Lake the first nite, then from Mud Lake to the Third Lake lean-to(which is terrific, it is right on the lake and there is a dock). This was the longest day of the trip, very long, 20+ miles and much of it was up hill. I am in pretty good shape(completed the NYC Marathon 2 weeks after the thru-hike) and I was completely beat after that stretch. i would definitely break up that day in to 2. We didn't bring tents, but if we had we probably would have camped where the Trail crosses the Jessep River. Great spot.

2. Between the property formerly known as McCains and Lake Durant, there is a "substantial" marsh. Closely monitor the right side of the trail for ribbons on the trees that lead you around the wettest part and to a downed tree that acts as a bridge. I read a few posts recently that talk of hikers wading there. It isn't necessary.

3. Don't stand too close to the guy who runs the general store in Piseco. Or strike up a conversation with him if you are in a hurry. Nice guy. Good talker though.

4. After Lake Durant, enjoy the hike to Tirrell Pond. Spend some time there. Relax in the camp furnature someone made. It gets pretty steep to the hight of land between there and Long Lake. And it is very steep decent to Long Lake. Get a room at the Adirondack Hotel, and arrange for a ride from the Hamlet to the trailhead the next day. Saves a lot of highway walking. If time does not permit a stay in Long Lake, the first lean-to on the Lake is only 1 mile in.

Two of us used a MSR Superfly stove and used less than 2 fuel canisters.
      We had a water filter breakdown, bring contingencies.

Bring a bear canister.

We didn't need a tent, there are lots of lean-to's.

Vodka and powdered Tang make for a nice cocktail in the evening.

The ADK book is fairly accurate. There was lots of blowdown and mud, get ready for it. It should be muddier in the summer.

Have a blast! It was one of the best vacations of my life.

Please contact me with any other questions. I could talk about that trip all day, so i would love to share our experience with you.

Rob

Comment

Where you from Rob?
        "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

I should be working...

I am from Albany, currently living in Saratoga Springs.

You?

Rob

Comment

I live in Wells, just about 7 miles from the Whitehouse trailhead... You been "playing in my backyard".

If you want to meet some of us, we are gathering here in Wells this weekend. You'll see the notice on the Forum Xmas gathering.

ALternative itinerary on the Benson to Piseco is to do Benson to Silver Lake the first day and the second day do Silver Lake to Buckhorn Pond just off the trail about 1 mile from the Piseco Trailhead. great tent camping places there, along with a Blue Heron Rookery, osprey nest, beaver lodge, fishing and moose sign. Then hike into the Spruce Lake lean tos the third day.

And Welcome to the adkforum!!
            "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk
              ALternative itinerary on the Benson to Piseco is to do Benson to Silver Lake the first day and the second day do Silver Lake to Buckhorn Pond just off the trail about 1 mile from the Piseco Trailhead. great tent camping places there, along with a Blue Heron Rookery, osprey nest, beaver lodge, fishing and moose sign. Then hike into the Spruce Lake lean tos the third day.

And Welcome to the adkforum!!
              That’s similar to the way I hiked the first section, only I stayed at the Hamilton Lake Stream shelter, and hiked to spruce lake from there.
              A man needs to believe in something. I believe I'll go hiking.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac

Comment

forum...

Thanks!

i have been cruisin' other forums including VFTT for years. This one is up there with the best of them(love the fishing forum!).

This weekend will be tough, but it will happen someday. Last year i set goals to do the NPT, run NYC, and complete the ADK 46. I am 2 out of 3 on goals, and 19 out of 46 on summits. I will be looking for more advice and hiking partners as i get closer to finishing. The help and advice i have found on all of these forums has been great.

Rob

Comment

Spruce Lake (the third lean-to) and Duck Hole (the lean-to on the hill) were the best spots, I thought, on my N-LP hike. The loons at Spruce Lake woke me up just about every hour on the hour during that night, and it was kinda spooky with a full moon and a mist hanging over the water. But it was such a great spot! Duck Hole was great too ... an absolutely gorgeous spot.

I will probably hike the trail again, although probably not this coming year (2005).
                  sigpic

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.

Comment

Originally posted by kwc
                    Spruce Lake (the third lean-to) and Duck Hole (the lean-to on the hill) were the best spots, I thought, on my N-LP hike. The loons at Spruce Lake woke me up just about every hour on the hour during that night, and it was kinda spooky with a full moon and a mist hanging over the water. But it was such a great spot! Duck Hole was great too ... an absolutely gorgeous spot.

I will probably hike the trail again, although probably not this coming year (2005).
                    I have fond memories at Spruce Lake. My cousin, his dog, and myself stayed at the second lean-to and had the whole lake to ourselves, with the exception on a pair of loons that where swimming across the lake. The section form Spruce Lake to Cedar Lakes and the section through the Cold River valley to Duck Hole were my two favorite parts of the trip.
                    A man needs to believe in something. I believe I'll go hiking.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac

Comment

i noticed Rob said to bring a bear cannister. is it really necessary? i do have one but i was hoping not to have to use it untill i go to high peaks.

Comment

I did not bring a bear cannister and did not have a problem. I did hang my food every night. I saw lots of bear sign but these bears do not have the savvy of the high peak bears. I have heard of problems at Duck Hole but because food was left in the lean-to or hung too low.
                        “One of the penalties of an ecological education is that one lives alone in a world of wounds.” ~ Aldo Leopold

Comment

I wouldn't bother with a bear cannister on the NPT. If you encounter a bear, just carry it out in a zip lock!

Comment

My concern with not carrying a canister was that with up to 3-4 days between refueling(food that is) on the trail, i didn't want to take a chance of losing the food and being hungry for a few days.

As others have noted, i didn't have any problems with bears either. Lots of sign, but no encounters. It also keeps out the pesky rodents and acts as a nifty chair however.

Comment

Taking a cannister never hurts. Just if you';re pushing the limit on weight, then its a consideration and winter camping requires carrying more weight then other times of the year.

Only place I would think you might encounter any problem if at all is the section that skirts the Seward Range. However, my guess is that all the "smart" bears are up by Marcy Dam waiting for tenderfeet.

Comment

Working...
                              X