X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the wanderer

Hello folks.
    Love the site.

I was born in Gloversville, grew up running the woods of Bleeker mountain, fishing the West Canada in Herkimer and Hamilton County, frolicking in the Sacandaga, and graduating from Johnstown High School.

My life is sustained by the great outdoors.

Moved to Michigan in 84 where I became an avid hunter, and great lakes fisherman. Nearly fished everyday from ice-out to the first freeze around Harsen's Island (located at the mouth of the St. Clair river).

Travelled the US extensively. Hunted Montana's eastern prairies to the west near Billings (favorite). Idaho's panhandle, backpacked/hunted Colorado's Maroon Belles, waterfowl and pheasants in the Dakota's and parts of western Kansas.

Enjoy outdoor photography immensely too (newbie). Some of the most beautiful hikes I have made were in the Adirondacks,as well as, Mt. Rainier in Washington and some very nice hikes near Snohqualmie Falls east of Seattle and the Cascades.

Two most recent vacations were in Az. and Vegas where we went to Tombstone, Tucson, the Grand Canyon (helicopter ride... so cool), and Lake Meade.

I try to make it a point to get back to upstate NY twice a year. Family still lives in the area.

Oh... and I work too. Plastic injection molds and part design engineer for mostly automotive interior parts... mostly.

Nuff said
    Last edited by w_g_henderson; 08-31-2005, 08:54 AM.

Comment

• Hi - this is a good idea - you see every one writing in you dont know them...
      Im 50 - work as a Police Officer - hike ,camp, kayak and hunt when time allows. I have been in the woods since I was a youngun - active in scouting and still am - enjoy teaching others about the woods and the outdoor life - used to guide back in the late 70's and early 80's - I have come to a point in my life where I enjoy the solitude of the woods - sitting and relaxing has become second to hiking and peak bagging. I live in the Oneida NY area - have a son who lives in Clifton PArk - not too far from the woods in any direction....
      Last edited by hikercop45; 08-30-2005, 02:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by hikercop45
        Hi - this is a good idea - you see every one writing in you dont know them...
        Im 50 - work as a Police Officer - hike ,camp, kayak and hunt when time allows. I have been in the woods since I was a youngun - active in scouting and still am - enjoy teaching others about the woods and the outdoor life - used to guide back in the late 70's and early 80's - I have come to a point in my life where I enjoy the solitude of the woods - sitting and relaxing has become second to hiking and peak bagging. I live in the Oneida NY area - have a son who lives in Clifton PArk - not too far from the woods in any direction....
        Hikercop, let me know when you want to climb a few peaks with the legal beagles!

Comment

• Id be honored

Comment

• Hello!
            My name is Matt, I currently live in Latham, NY and I am 23 years old. I attended SUNY Albany and was always interested in the outdoor club. Unfortunately, I never had the time to join; I was just too busy with work and school.
            Currently I work for an automotive aftermarket company in which I am finishing up an executive management training program. I guess with all of the traveling I have done within the past year, I have realized how beautiful our world is. This has been my motivation to get out.
            I really enjoy this site and love "stopping by" each day to get caught up. Everyone I have chatted with has been very informative and helpful.

Cheers,

-Matt

Comment

• Hello All,
              First of all a quick thanks for this site....I've been a lurker here for about six months now and I have enjoyed looking in from the outside!

About myself........I Live in Rochester with my wife and 3 kids. I've car camped my entire life of 42 years. I started canoe camping and backpacking about 5 years ago and can't get enough of it. My only back country experience has been the Adirondacks. But I've day-hiked in a lot of places. I'm doing my first high peak this weekend, and am hoping to complete the 46R's along with my wife.

Comment

• I'm 46 (that can't be!), married with 4 grown children and a 14 yr. old son who is the only person I know who loves beautiful upstate New York as much as I do. We live on a dirt road off a dirt road and run 150 Colonies of honey bees. My wife, my son and our Australian Shepherd, Mick, travel 500 miles (round trip) to NYC Greenmarket (through the absolutely wonderful Catskills) 40 Saturdays a year to sell our bee-wares. My grandmother who raised me was mother nature and allowed me to spend my young life in the forest where I feel most at home. I've climbed 14,000 ft peaks in Colorado, had a standoff with a moose in the Tetons and helped build and maintain sections of the fingerlakes trails in the '70's. We love canoing in the Ad's (especially those hidden estuarys) and listening to the Loons.

I've read numerous post and really enjoy getting the chance to live your experiences. Finding this post is kind of like that chance encounter at a portage, meeting someone you've never met but somehow recognize a new friend. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

• My name is Mike H. I am from Northeast PA. I am a junior at Penn State. I have been visiting Lake Placid for 15 years. I learned to ski at Whiteface. I now race for the PA State Team. I love to be outside, its impossible to loose with whatever activity it is. I am a climber, trad lead to .10, face climb to mid .10. I love to ride my mountain bike, although lately a road bike is calling my name for some reason. That's about it, I love to climb, ride, ski, hike, run, mostly be outside. Thanks for listening. I would love to talk to any of you, feel free to send me an instant message or an email.

Thank you

Mike
                  I love UBU

Comment

• I'm 44 and live on Long Island. I live in the town that I spent most of my growing up years [you think that's bad, my brother bought my grandmothers house on the other side of town that we lived in until he was 11].

I have a degree in Accounting, with minors in Economics and Comp Sci as well as an MBA with a concentration in Information Systems Management. I spent 1995-early 2005 doing the dot-com shuffle. I made some money there and recently purchased a good chunk of a payroll processing business here on Long Island.

My interests are - building web sites, writing financial software (loser hobby huh?!?), hiking/backpacking/the great outdoors and photography.
                    Kurt Tietjen
                    http://www.outdoorphotoguide.com

Comment

• Hi All-
                      I am a newly-retired teacher who has lived near the Adirondacks most of my life. After many years of hiking and backpacking within the constraints of job and raising a family, I am now able to devote more time to my outdoor passions. My hiking and backpacking partner who also happens to be my husband is observing this new chapter of my life with more than passing interest, even a bit of envy. I keep reassuring him that his retirement will come soon enough. Meantime, I am free to hike mid-week if the spirit moves me. Amazing!

Edelweiss
                      BREATH OF FRESH AIR PHOTOGRAPHY Website
                      Picasa Public Photo Gallery
                      ADK46er #5438; CAT3500 #1745; CL50 #98; NPT Finisher

Comment

• Hi Edelweiss, welcome to the forum! It sounds like you've got time on your hands now. Yoou've piqued my interest! Let me know if you want to do some hiking together -- I'd be happy to join you anytime. Perhaps we could do a hike and go for a dinner and a few drinks afterward? I'm sure my wife wouldn't mind. I can probably find a way to work around her schedule. PM me if you're interested.

Dick

Comment

• Originally posted by Dick
                          Perhaps we could do a hike and go for a dinner and a few drinks afterward? I'm sure my wife wouldn't mind. I can probably find a way to work around her schedule. PM me if you're interested.

Dick
                          Maybe Your wife won't mind.........but what about HER husband????
                          Ahh............Wilderness.......

Comment

• Originally posted by poconoron
                            Maybe Your wife won't mind.........but what about HER husband????
                            Point, Poconoron

Comment

• Originally posted by Judgeh
                              Point, Poconoron
                              Well, I was actually thinking that if I could find a way to work around my wife's schedule, Edelweiss could find a way to work around her husband's as well, if she's interested. Maybe, if the weather's not so good, we could skip the hike and just do the dinner and drinks? How about it, Edelweiss?

Comment

• Lol!

Dick and Joanne

You guys are funny!

Joanne - if he's buying, take him up on it!

Comment

Working...
                                X