Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the hell, you might as well skip the dinner too.
    The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

• Dick-

Hiking, dinner, drinks ...... can't get much better than that! What a great introduction to the ADK Forum. You sure make a "newbie" feel welcomed!

Edelweiss
      Last edited by Edelweiss; 10-20-2005, 11:15 AM.
      BREATH OF FRESH AIR PHOTOGRAPHY Website
      Picasa Public Photo Gallery
      ADK46er #5438; CAT3500 #1745; CL50 #98; NPT Finisher

Comment

• Hey........when I was a newbie, no one offered ME hiking, dinner and drinks......
        Ahh............Wilderness.......

Comment

• first post/intro

ok heres my history: Ive been a frequent visitor to the DAKS sice birth. My folks used to rent a cabin from Charlie Johns on Lake Pleasant every summer and I was a camper at Deerfoot Lodge boys camp near Speculator.Sometime around 1980 my folks bought their own camp in Inlet NY and Ive been a weekend warrior there since. During the week I live/work in Syracuse but on weekends Im usually somewhere in the Daks.
          I love to fish,hunt,camp,hike,mtn bike,waterski,snowshoe,and xc ski.
          Lately my favorite has been flyfishing so youll likely find me on the fishing forum.
          Im 41 happily married with no kids (yet) and am looking forward to being on this forum. Seems like a really friendly bunch on here.
          " A Trout is just too damn valuable to be caught only once."
          Lee Wulff

Comment

• wyldeflowers 'n things

First of all, this website is fabulous! Thank you for it! Now, I'd like to "get out there"! So, "it's all good", and I'm hoping to backpack, hike, canoe, meet people, be a better outdoorswoman, and remain injury free, although, I'm feeling some twinges. I'd like to hike the Northville-Lake Placid Trail. I was on the Coos trail in Northern New Hampshire last summer. I only did a very small part of it. Went to the Wind River Range for a 7 day backpack trip on a guided trip. Thanks to Sacco who was hoping to go.

I am in my 19th year of elementary band teaching in Millbrook, NY. I've relived many scenes from Mr. Holland's Opus and Music from the Heart.

I'm trying to learn to take care of myself. I take yoga class, lately svaroopa yoga. Sometimes, I book my weekends with church choir and I'm leading a church handbell choir. I'm a good cook, but, would like to become skilled in camp cooking.

If there's anybody out there interested in bacpacking the N-LP trail summer '06? Perhaps we could go together. (Peanut Butter?)

I've attended many classes, and earned a BM at the Crane School of Music '84, but the school of life is one that I am now attending. I've put that one off for a little too long.

THANKS AGAIN FOR THIS VERY IMPORTANT LIFELINE!!!!

I turn the BIG 50 on 11/21. Kimberly
            Last edited by wyldeflower; 10-30-2005, 09:15 AM.
            Happiest in the woods

Comment

• Hi Kimberly!
              I turn 50 in a few months so welcome to the club. I figured I should post again on this thread because the experiences I've had since my previous post have changed me (hopefully for the better).
              Step one was hiking the 46 without knowing about the 46.
              Step two: innocence lost. We hear about the 46, on Marcy's summit albeit.
              Step 3: we decide to do the 46.
              Step 4: we finish the 46. In the meanwhile we decide to do the winter 46 and I decide to do the hundred highest.
              Step 5: I lose my wife, my family, my job and go on welfare but don't care as long as I can travel through the Adirondacks.
              -JK

Comment

• Originally posted by Neil
                Hi Kimberly!
                I turn 50 in a few months so welcome to the club. I figured I should post again on this thread because the experiences I've had since my previous post have changed me (hopefully for the better).
                Step one was hiking the 46 without knowing about the 46.
                Step two: innocence lost. We hear about the 46, on Marcy's summit albeit.
                Step 3: we decide to do the 46.
                Step 4: we finish the 46. In the meanwhile we decide to do the winter 46 and I decide to do the hundred highest.
                Step 5: I lose my wife, my family, my job and go on welfare but don't care as long as I can travel through the Adirondacks.
                -JK
                I thought you were much, much older. (no banana)

Comment

• Welcome Kimberly!

I sent you a PM. If I can get my teenage son off from work long enough then we've got ourselves a water donkey . It makes up for all the years (since he was three) that I carried everything
                  Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.
                  It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

• Hi Kimberly,
                    I turned 50 last year mid-October. To celebrate we climbed Marcy and sipped champaigne. The visibility was about 20 feet with icy snow almost blowing us off the mountain. No candles to blow out the wind and snow wouldn't have allowed it. It was a birthday to remember! It's a great way to keep the party small. The snow and ice have been holding off so far. You might be able to squeeze in a party.
                    Happy Birthday and welcome to the forum!

Comment

• Hakuna- Now THAT'S the way to celebrate your birthday. Every New Year's Day I take my son out to ski or snowshoe in the Adirondacks. I figure it's the best way I can think of to start out the new year. One year was pretty darn cold by the time we snowshoed back to the car at dark. The hot cocoa in the thermos left in the car was icy. When the sun set the temperature dropped like a rock and I think I warmed up about May.

Comment

• Hi Wyldeflower!

Edelweiss, aka Joanne, my wife, who just joined the forum (as if forum regulars didn't figure that one out! ), and I have been thinking about doing the NP trail as a thruhike together in the near future. I've done almost all of it before, but in sections. Perhaps we could work together on this? FYI, we're both musicians and Joanne is a graduate of Crane. We both turn the big 60 this spring. What better way to celebrate than to do a 130+ mile hike! Post or PM me or Edelweiss if interested.

Dick

Comment

• Originally posted by Dick
                          Hi Wyldeflower!

Edelweiss, aka Joanne, my wife, who just joined the forum (as if forum regulars didn't figure that one out! )
                          It went right over my head!
                          Hi Joanne! Wanna go out for drinks and dinner in Montreal?

Comment

• Originally posted by Neil
                            It went right over my head!
                            Hi Joanne! Wanna go out for drinks and dinner in Montreal?
                            Won't Dick get jealous?
                            "It is easier to become a Forty-Sixer than to be one. The art of the being is to keep one's sense of wonder after the excitement of the game is over."

Paul Jamieson Class of '58

Comment

• Neil, I only figured it out because I had read about their trip to Switzerland.

Dick- I PM'd Wyldeflower about the NP also. When Paul was much younger I had wanted to try section hiking it but coudn't work out transportation for the longer sections. My daughter and I were actually going to try doing it as a series of day hikes since at the time she couldn't get off that long. Now Paul could certainly handle much more than anything I can take him on in terms of length. The only part we've done is the section from Piseco to Whitehouse over and over and over and over....

I'm not a musician, but my son plays violin and piano. But if I sing, the bears will turn tail and run. Where my kids got their pitch from I'll never now, but it certainly wasn't from me.

Comment

• You get enough for two parties, starting from the opposite sides, you can cache food for each other. After the half way point, you won't be carrying any more food since it will be cached for the second half of your trip.
                                "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

Working...
                                X