Pinchot Trail news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinchot Trail news

The south loop of the Pinchot Trail has been rerouted in three places, eliminating all road walks on Tannery and Phelps Rds. The new reroutes are blazed orange and brush cleared, but some low brush remains. Highlights includes view of a swamp, streams, forests of spruce, hemlock, and rhododendrons, and a bubbling sand spring. The old routes have been abandoned and blazes have been painted brown. The only old route that remains is now part of the Choke Creek Nature Trail, and that part is blazed yellow.

Scouting will soon begin on the Choke Creek Falls/Choke Creek relocation which will dramatically enhance the scenery of the south loop with the falls, meadows, wetlands, cascades, slides, pools, isolation and scenic forests. When this is completed, the south loop will go from an average trail to one of the finest easy backpacking trails in the state.

I will post a map when all reroutes are completed.

Nice. That stretch of trail wasn't horrible by any means, but by the sounds of what you describe, it will be improved.

Hopefully they can devote some money and effort towards cleaning Choke Creek Falls up- that area was a mess when I was there (dirty diapers, smashed electronics, etc.).

Comment

Choke Creek Falls is much improved, was there yesterday. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Comment

The south loop of the Pinchot Trail has been re-routed in four places.  The trail has been removed from all roads and the scenic beauty has been greatly improved.  The south loop is now one …

The four reroutes of the Pinchot Trail's south loop are complete. I think this is now one of the most scenic, easy backpack loops in the mid atlantic. All road walks are eliminated. Scenery includes very diverse forests of pine, hemlock, spruce, laurel, and rhododendron. Beautiful streams. Bubbling sand spring. Views of wetlands and meadows. Beaver dams and ponds. Waterfalls and cascades.

Comment

I saw your blog post with the rough maps showing the new routes. While maybe not a destination rail, the Pinchot Trail is nice enough in its own right, and the new routes are intriguing enough that I probably will make time at some point to re-hike this trail in it's entirety. I'm definitely interested to see the new Choke Creek section. I might also add the Watres Trail to extend the loop further and check out that area as well.

Comment

People really seem to like the Choke Creek reroute. It is a beautiful section of trail. A treadway is getting established but I still need to clear some brush.

Watres Trail is ok. I have an idea to reroute the PT's north loop to include the superb views from Panther Hill and a waterfall, but that won't happen anytime soon.

KTA will be spending two weekends this year maintaining the PT, so it should be in good shape.

Comment

Working...
            X