View Single Post
Old 03-22-2017, 02:44 PM   #65
Bounder45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman View Post
Rural coyotes show a healthy fear of humans.
It's a few urban coyotes that become habituated towards humans that are the problem.
Rural coyotes show a healthy fear of us because they are a lot more likely to get hunted than are urban coyotes. That lack of hunting, in addition to the relative availability of food sources (pets, rodents, trash), makes the urban ones somewhat less cautious.

Quote:
But I'm sure you're suburban neighbours would gladly accept the presence of coyotes rather than some hunters running shooting off a high powered rifles in the neighbourhood.
I admit that a coyote presence in and of itself can be helpful, even in a urban setting. But when the coyotes get bold enough that they're nipping at or trying to corral young kids (which has happened in certain neighborhoods), that's a good indication that some culling is needed. That's where practical and relatively safe conservation methods like trapping and bowhunting come into play...believe it or not, high-powered rifles aren't the only method for controlling animal populations.

Quote:
We didn't hunt coyotes in the woods. We hunted them in open country. The countryside here is divided into concessions roads.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concession_road

Some concession roads are drivable by vehicle in winter some are not and were travelled by foot, ATV or snowmobile. We'd place hunters on concessions ahead of the race and use radio to communicate with the guys at the back of the race.
I'm still confused what you think is so easy about this type of hunting. Where I hunt, 4x4 trucks and radios are used as well, but there is still quite a bit of walking to get into position, to retrieve hounds or to reposition as the hunt develops. The average coyote around here is cunning and has an uncanny ability to run into challenging terrain or to circle back over earlier tracks to confuse the dogs. I hunt with houndsmen who have been at it for decades, and have well-bred, well-trained dogs; and yet, it's not uncommon for us to put several hours into a chase only to come up empty-handed. These aren't easy hunts, and you've really got to know your dogs, know the terrain and know the coyote to have even a reasonable chance of success.
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote