View Single Post
Old 06-01-2006, 10:59 AM   #41
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

The "Incident"

By all too many requests to keep PM'ing: Guess we will turn this thread into a twilight zone!

The "Encounter" (or non encounter if you will)

When I lived out in Wellington, CO, a small town 10 miles North of Fort Collins, I was driving home from Work about 1:30 am. I ran out of gas about two miles from Wellington. This was a surprise because I thought I had gassed up the day before. There was a field on one side f the road and woods on the other. Wellington is a town or 200 people, icluding cows, sheep, cattle and pigs so there is no traffic on the road from Ft. Collins.

I had walked about 1/2 a mile and suddenly every hair on my head stood up straight and I felt chilled to the bone. Having spent several tours of duty "in-country" with my SEAL team in Nam, I had experienced this before, usually indicating an ambush or danger ahead.

I loked around and could see nothing, neither did I hear anything, but there was a strange smell which I can't explain. it was feint, and onlike anything I had ever smelled before. Somewhere between french fries and week old cadavers.

For the only time i can remember in my life, I was scared almost to the point of paralization. I finally shook it off and double timed it out of there as quickly as I could. i ran all the way home, took a shower, thought about the whole thing, convinced myself it was just something crazy and went to bed.

The next morning, i walked down to the garage/blacksmith shop to get a can of gas and see if someone could give me a ride to the car. When i got there, a couple of police cars were there and as i wet to the office, the owner said "here he is now". the police asked me if it was my car on the highway, why it was there, and if i had seen anything.

reluctantly I tolf them about the feeling I had and they listened intently, asking me again and again if i had seen anything strange. I told them no and just that I had smelled that strange scent.

After about a half hour of interrogation and them also checking my job to verify when I left work, they drove me
down to my car. As we passed the place where I had my hair stand on edge, there were a whole bunch of police and other governmant cars parked by the filed and a lot of people in the field.

When i asked what was going on, the deputy tole me that the night/morning before, there had been three cows that were found dead. One was nothing but skin and the other two had all their internal organs missing and there was no sign of tracks of any kind other then the cow tracks.

I got to the car, went to put the gas in and it would only take 3/4 of a gallon and it was full! I got in the car, turned the ignition and it started right up and i went home.

I never saw or heard a thing, but it was the only time in my life that I ever felt sheer terror.

There was never any kind of evidence as to what happened.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, there was no sign of blood either..
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote