View Single Post
Old 05-24-2014, 12:36 PM   #8
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limekiln View Post
Gore text is not rain gear in my opinion. It works reasonably well when it's new, but not so well after a few years of use. And in really heavy rain it always seems to soak through. At least that's been my experience.

I like the Helly Hansen Impertech. It's a stretchable rubberized material that is 100% waterproof. I have the pants and the longer jacket. It's reasonably rugged and not too expensive. But it's not breathable, so you will sweat if it's warm or you're moving around. As I said I don't think breathable and waterproof go together. But for fishing or other stationary activities I love it.
I've had my Gore tex for 10 years. Still keeps my dry under any conditions. Paid about $140 for the coat and around the same for the pants in 2004 from L.L. Bean
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote