No announcement yet.

Adventures on the Cranberry Lake 50!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nicely done! great pictures bring back fond memories! Glad to see the new bridge, hope it doesn't wash out. The cliffs you found on West Flow are the Wildcliff Ledges. Nice bushwack!
    Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
    Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Comment

Originally posted by ALGonquin Bob View Post
      Sweet. Quite the hike, eh? I liked the 4 beavers slapping in unison. Those were likely Red-Winged Blackbirds. I'll probably be paddling past High Falls in 2 months, or so. Congratulatons on doing the CL50!
      PS: "Who cooks for youuuuuuu... who cooks for you alllllll?"
      I would say so! Thanks for the correction on the birds, I knew that, but had a classic Tyler-ditsy moment. I would love to paddle up to High Falls, it'd be an excellent camping site in warm weather.
      I usually cook for myself, but this whole trip I used dry food:
      12 packs of pop tarts
      4 sandwiches
      18 trail bars
      4 bagels
      2 apples
      1 quesedilla
      1 burrito

I ate all but two packs of pop tarts, one apple, 6 bars, and one sandwich!

Originally posted by whitefoot View Post
      Good report, looks like the snow will be gone when i go in early may, hopefully the water levels will go down also, im not sure how i will get my dog accross that bridge, looks like he'll be swimming,LOL
      I'm looking foreword to may.
      I'm sure it will be gone by then. Maybe a few little patchy spots, but it was melting pretty fast in the warm sun. It would be nice if someone put some cross boards across the bridge to make it a little more legit, but I was just glad to have a bridge. The water really wasn't that high, I don't think. I didn't have a single water crossing issue, besides being clumsy and slipping in a few times.

Originally posted by chairrock View Post
      Nicely done! great pictures bring back fond memories! Glad to see the new bridge, hope it doesn't wash out. The cliffs you found on West Flow are the Wildcliff Ledges. Nice bushwack!
      Thanks! At first I thought I was trespassing on the cliffs, and was like "blast it!" But when I looked on the map I saw that they were on state land, so it worked out well. Lovely views of the lake from up there!
      Next time I'll go clockwise I think, and take 4 or more days!
      Videos --- Camp Loonsong --- Mountains Climbed

Comment

The bridge is new this spring, at least it wasn't there in November. It must be a work in progress. I am glad they got past the non-conforming use issues.I know they were looking for historical pictures or records that showed a bridge there.

Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Comment

Originally posted by ADK88 View Post
          I usually cook for myself, but this whole trip I used dry food
          Well I'm glad that you ate well, and I'm sorry for the somewhat obscure quote which is actually the common way of writing the call of the Barred Owl.
          The Barred Owl’s hooting call, “Who cooks for you? Who cooks for you-all?” is a classic sound of old forests and treed swamps. But this attractive owl, with soulful brown eyes and brown-and-white-striped plumage, can also pass completely unnoticed as it flies noiselessly through the dense canopy or snoozes on a tree limb. Originally a bird of the east, during the twentieth century it spread through the Pacific Northwest and southward into California.

Barred Owl Hoots 'Who-Cooks-For-You-All' Owl Calls, Sounds | WATCH Full Doc: https://youtu.be/I3ZWFZ30FSM | 🦉 Barred owls are invading North America's city ...
          "Like" my FB page http://tinyurl.com/FB-BuffaloPaddles and visit my map ALGonquin Bob's "BUFFALO PADDLES" Paddle Guide

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W

Comment

Originally posted by ALGonquin Bob View Post
            Well I'm glad that you ate well, and I'm sorry for the somewhat obscure quote which is actually the common way of writing the call of the Barred Owl.
            The Barred Owl’s hooting call, “Who cooks for you? Who cooks for you-all?” is a classic sound of old forests and treed swamps. But this attractive owl, with soulful brown eyes and brown-and-white-striped plumage, can also pass completely unnoticed as it flies noiselessly through the dense canopy or snoozes on a tree limb. Originally a bird of the east, during the twentieth century it spread through the Pacific Northwest and southward into California.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fppKGJD3Y6c
            HAHAHAHAHA!! That's really funny. I was wondering if I might have been missing something. Thanks!

Comment

great report

Comment

Tyler,
                How was the blowdown between Six Mile Creek and Chairrock Creek?

Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Comment

Originally posted by chairrock View Post
                  Tyler,
                  How was the blowdown between Six Mile Creek and Chairrock Creek?
                  Not bad at all. There were a few spots, but nothing too bad. I just threw some smaller sticks off the trail, but there were no large trees down that I recall. It was actually one of the best maintained and easiest portions of the trail!

And btw, thanks a bunch, fingerlakeshiker!

Comment

Tyler,

Awesome Trip report. The CL50 looks like a great hike. Can't wait to get my feet on the trail!!!!!!!!
                    Well my style of stress relief
                    Sometimes disturbs the peace
                    The police show up
                    And cut donuts in my yard
                    And while the Zeppelin's playing loud
                    They run off my party crowd
                    They cuff up my wrist
                    And throw me down so hard

Comment

ALWAYS ENTERTAINING TR'S! the pics were gr8 as I take a break from my work, tnx.... Looncry

Comment

Originally posted by JackG79 View Post
                        Tyler,

Awesome Trip report. The CL50 looks like a great hike. Can't wait to get my feet on the trail!!!!!!!!
                        Originally posted by looncry View Post
                        ALWAYS ENTERTAINING TR'S! the pics were gr8 as I take a break from my work, tnx.... Looncry
                        Thank you both, guys. So nice to have the encouragement!

Comment

Originally posted by backwoodsman
                          Anyone who does a 63mi. trip in 3 days while eating bacon cheeseburgers deserves a patch.
                          Nice TR and pictures Tyler.
                          Haha, thanks so much! I wish I always had good food like that to eat!

Comment

Tyler,

Another handy option is the 99c dbl cheeseburgers off the McDonals Menu. You can stow them in tupperware, and eat them exclusivly on your hikes. Cheap, fairly light, and the smell of the lean-to will keep any resident wild life at bay while you sleep! hahahahahha
                            Well my style of stress relief
                            Sometimes disturbs the peace
                            The police show up
                            And cut donuts in my yard
                            And while the Zeppelin's playing loud
                            They run off my party crowd
                            They cuff up my wrist
                            And throw me down so hard

Comment

Originally posted by JackG79 View Post
                              Tyler,

Another handy option is the 99c dbl cheeseburgers off the McDonals Menu. You can stow them in tupperware, and eat them exclusivly on your hikes. Cheap, fairly light, and the smell of the lean-to will keep any resident wild life at bay while you sleep! hahahahahha
                              Excellent idea. It's actually pretty amazing how good a cold, cheeseburger can taste on the trail, I was impressed.

And I think that tupperware is one of the most under appreciated tools of an outdoor trip! It has so many uses!

Comment

And so many preservatives that they'll never go bad!

Comment

Working...
                                X