View Single Post
Old 03-16-2014, 10:55 AM   #17
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHiker View Post
The man is probably frustrated. If we put people in jail for being stupid we would need way too many jails.

There is a large amount of people that don't even believe in evolution, some of them really believe the earth is 6000 years old. They have the facts to prove it too. One guy is building a full scale arc with unicorns (They are in the King James version of the bible).

People believe what the want to believe and they also have a strong desire to control what other people believe. People would rather win an argument by arguing than really understand what they are arguing about.

People don't like being told that their culture is all wrong. They are proud of who they are.

People also don't like authority. I mean everyone in the country is a rebel practically.

People are crazy too. My brother in law was going on and on about how bad unions are. The strange thing is that he is a teacher... I did not point out the obvios to him. You can't help people.

How are you going to get people to believe that an oderless, colourless gas is going to destroy their way of life? It is never going to happen.

But the rich people should wake up and start looking at this. They should never forget that the rich were taxed a 90% during and after world war II. They will pay for climate change because only they have the money to do it. If we start now it will cost less.
Point out what obvious to him? I have worked on Union jobs and been a union worker. Obviously I benefited from being a member (I had no choice, I had to be a union member in order to work). However the union was bad. It protected people who were lazy. It caused employers to be forced to use three people for a job that required one. It forced a lot of down time waiting for someone from a different trade to come an perform a task the union said only he could do. So, while yes, I benefited from the union in pay, to be honest the union was bad because it drove up the price of goods and services unnecessarily. I laud your brother for being honest, I don't think he is the one who needs help.

I think that one of the real problems is that people do understand that there is climate change. And it is "An Inconvenient Truth", because it means that we have to take steps and make sacrifices which requires giving up some creature comforts and most Americans just don't want to do that.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson