View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 11:22 PM   #38
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail patrol
...a book about search, rescue and survival (historic, not instructional) in the Adirondacks? I know there are similar books about Yellowstone and Grand Canyon. Do you think there would be much interest in a "niche" title like that? I know people buy books about fire towers (Heck, I even bought one when I was back there.) but?

I keep saying "Some day I'm going to write a book." Maybe it's time to put my MS-Word where my mouth is and do it, particularly while guys like Pete Fish, Gary Hodges, Dave Ames, Ed Pierce, Jim Lord, (all rangers) Jim Suffolk, Ike Parkhurst (NYSP bloodhound handlers) Don Arner, Huey Parrow, Chuck Blount, (SAR volunteers) Dick Matzell and Hilary Leblanc (ECOs) are still alive to tell the stories.

Maybe it's time for me to come back home.

Hans
I think books about SAR "incidents" would be a great idea. Not just for the story about how someone was found or recovered, but WHY they had to be searched for in the first place. The reason they were lost...

In listening to many people, seeing people prepare for hiking and reading some of the posts from time to time, I see so many "little" things that are scoffed at, often by experienced hikers.

I often think that they feel that"other people" got lost because of something major or sheer ignorance. I would guess that to be true maybe 2% of the time. The other times is because of "little" things that went wrong, or poor decisions being made.

No one PLANS on getting lost or in trouble and usually the major things are always covered. it's always the "little thing" that got someone lost......or killed.

So I think that many of those stories Ned to be told, with emphasis on the REASON, as well as the result.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote