Cuyler, NY Firetower?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuyler, NY Firetower?

While driving near Cuyler, NY, I spotted what appears to be a fire tower. It is located east of Cuyler, at approximately this location. It does not show up on any topographic maps, nor does it show up on any aerial photography that I've looked at. I am assuming that it is relatively new. It appears to be on private property. It very much looks like a fire tower, and not a cellphone tower.

Does anyone know the story behind this tower? Is it open to the public?

Several owners of former fire towers are constantly mentioning how they would like to re-erect their tower. I even talked to a few. Perhaps someone finally put one up. Last fall I heard of another tower site that caught me by surprise. It's Mount Rutsen, north of Rhinebeck. There is an International Derrick tower there, that wasn't formerly from this state. It was recently brought up from one of the southern states. New towers could show up anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonehiker View Post
      Several owners of former fire towers are constantly mentioning how they would like to re-erect their tower. I even talked to a few. Perhaps someone finally put one up. Last fall I heard of another tower site that caught me by surprise. It's Mount Rutsen, north of Rhinebeck. There is an International Derrick tower there, that wasn't formerly from this state. It was recently brought up from one of the southern states. New towers could show up anywhere.
      I know that the DEC has (or at least, had) a few towers in storage that they could have auctioned off. There were tentatively plans at one point to erect one of them at the Five Rivers Environmental Education Center, but nothing ever came of it.

Comment

I haven't seen that yet but I don't live very far from there. If I get a chance I'll check into it.
        I'm not a Hippie, just a well groomed Mountain Man.

Comment

There are a couple former sites around that area, Morgan Hill, and Morrow Hill (Georgetown).

Comment

I found on Yahoo, another observer who noticed a new fire tower like structure that appeared to be on Richmond Hill. There is a cell phone tower up there, but I'm not saying that's what people are seeing.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonehiker View Post
              I found on Yahoo, another observer who noticed a new fire tower like structure that appeared to be on Richmond Hill. There is a cell phone tower up there, but I'm not saying that's what people are seeing.
              Yeah, I saw that in the aerial photography, but I'm pretty sure that's not the tower I saw.

Comment

Noticed a post on facebook about this tower today. Was in the Fire tower Challenge group.

Comment

This tower just came to mind again. I just confirmed it on Google satellite. There is definitely a structure that looks like a fire tower up there. You can find it on the hill due east of Cuyler.
                  Last edited by Lonehiker; 02-08-2016, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Yep, I see it now too. Looks like it was erected in someone's yard. Possibly they bought it surplus from the state (or another agency that had a few extra lying around).

Link to the aerial imagery: http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=42.74140,-75.93003&z=19&t=H

Comment

It looks like it's configured as an International Derrick tower

Comment

I used to live in Cuyler and was shocked to see it for the first time some months ago. I mentioned it to my son and he said nonchalantly "oh yeah, that's so and so's (a local farmer) and I helped him re-assemble it". So yes, it is privately owned.
                        Lisa

Comment

I think my son did say it was bought at an auction - which doesn't surprise me as he was always buying stuff at auctions!
                          Lisa

Comment

This is a tower that I purchased from a couple that toar it down 30 years ago. I heard about it from a friend and had to have it. The tower was on Swancutt Hill and was the tallest in New York . It is 99'9" tall and stands at my camp on the hill adjacent to the old Morgan Hill tower sight that got me hooked on fire towers.

Comment

Working...
                            X