No announcement yet.

Crossing the NY/Canadian Border

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was a kid (many decades ago), the big thing was firecrackers from Canada.People came up with all kinds of inventive hiding places in vehicles, many of which are the same used for drug running now I'm sure, to bring fireworks available in Canada illegally into NY.
    "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by Wldrns View Post
      We were briefly detained at the Thousand Island border ...
      I am not sure whether "detained" is the right word.
      I would phrase it as "were questioned" or "his documents were checked".

Originally posted by Wldrns View Post
      ... I had to surrender my car keys while the paperwork and passport checked out. I could not see my car from inside the building ...
      It's their standard operation procedure to ask for a key while checking documents etc.
      I assume that borderguards are supposed to search the car in this case.
      I am not sure how thorough is their search when they have no real reason to believe that something is hidden.

Anyway I would recommend "Border security" TV show to anybody who is interested in this subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Yury View Post
        I am not sure whether "detained" is the right word.
        I would phrase it as "were questioned" or "his documents were checked".

It's their standard operation procedure to ask for a key while checking documents etc..
        I would call it detained when I, my wife, and my Belgian friend are asked to park, get out of my car, surrender my keys, and to spend a half hour inside waiting for our clearance to pass. I had no choice in the matter and no option to leave. That is being "detained" in my book. It was not an unpleasant experience inside, chatting with a nice female agent about canoe racing while her male partner checked us and our passports and his paperwork.
        "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Ona recent trip to Quebec City to ski and watch the final event of the X-C World Cup season, we were asked if we were carrying an firearms. We of course said "no". Then he asked if we owned any firearms. Again we said "no". His reply, "What do you mean you 'don't own any guns', you're Americans." He then waved us through.
          Every time that wheel turns round, bound to measure just a little more ground.

Comment

Over the last 8 years I've traveled to the US at least twice a month so my responses to your questions are based on many border-crossings. However, to be clear, I've only traveled to the US twice in the past year (so if things have changed recently, I'm not aware of them).

What is it like for a Canadian citizen to cross the US border, especially if it’s on a daily/weekly basis?
            I have a Nexus card (in addition to a passport) so that means I have been vetted by both US and Canadian authorities. As a consequence, questioning tends to be brief for both entering the US and re-entering Canada.

Do you become friendly with & recognized by the employees of the border patrol at all?
            No. However that may be due to my choice of using the large Champlain crossing where you're unlikely to meet the same person. Perhaps if one were to use one of the smaller border-crossings (and frequently) then you'd recognize the employees. FWIW, I recall meeting the same person two weekends in a row, at Champlain, but there was no banter about 'being a regular'.

How often do you get searched and/or hassled?
            Twice by US Customs and Border Services. I was requested to pull over for an inspection.

I parked my car, gave them the keys, went into the building to wait my turn. Interaction was polite and professional. I was cleared within 15 minutes. I couldn't tell if they actually searched my car because nothing inside seemed like it had been touched.

As for "hassled" I can recount one case where they attempted to rattle me, ostensibly to catch me in a lie. It was just after 4:00 AM and I was the only person at the gate. One of the two officers asked if I planned to meet anyone. I confirmed and explained I was hiking with one other person. When asked his name, I realized I only knew his first name (and his forum moniker). I told the officer what I knew and was warned about the dangers of meeting people "on the Internet".

I smiled and said there was no danger in this case because the two of us had already hiked together. The official's demeanor changed and he said "But you said you didn't know him!" I'm sure I had a puzzled look because I had no recollection of saying that. I didn't know his family name but we had met and hiked together. The officer's partner stepped in and repeated that he also heard me say I didn't know the person I was going to meet.

In addition to being perplexed I felt frustrated because I was certain I said no such thing and definitely had no reason to lie about it. My frustration was also due to the fact I could not contradict them and simply say "You're wrong about that." I told them I had no recollection stating that and had no reason to say it. He and I had already met and hiked before, I just never bothered to ask for his family name. They insisted I said I didn't know him. "Sorry, if I said that then it was in error because we have met before."

They closed the door, minutes passed, I thought they'd revoke my Nexus card, then the officer hands me back my card and says "Have a great day." I drove off replaying everything in my mind, certain I never misspoke and they were just practicing their verbal jujitsu techniques. I recounted the story to my American friend and then asked him what the @#!% was his family name.

As for re-entering Canada, it's been comparatively uneventful. The only "hassle" is when US authorities occasionally implement a checkpoint about a quarter-mile short of the Canadian border and screen everyone leaving the US. While you're being questioned by one officer, another one (or two) is checking inside your vehicle. It's also just one checkpoint station so everyone bound for Canada is funneled into a single lane.

What are the reports like of people coming from the US into Canada and getting busted for illegal activities?
            No idea. Most of the news revolves around people from the US crossing into Canada (not at an official port of entry) and claiming refugee status or political asylum. Tens of thousands of people have done this, over the past two years, and are being housed while the backlog of claims is being processed.
            Looking for views!

Comment

Thanks for the replies, all.

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
              No idea. Most of the news revolves around people from the US crossing into Canada (not at an official port of entry) and claiming refugee status or political asylum. Tens of thousands of people have done this, over the past two years, and are being housed while the backlog of claims is being processed.
              Wow, I had no idea, but then again I guess I can’t blame them, with the amount of madness that has been going on in the US over the past several years!

I keep semi-joking with my girlfriend...”Honey can we please move to Canada?”
              Her response, “Hell no, they won’t even let us in to see a concert that we all paid $80 for with tickets to show.”
              Then I ask, “Ok how about we move to the Adirondacks instead then?”
              “Maybe” is best answer that I’ve received so far.

Comment

Been doing it for years and is usually pretty seamless. I used to travel back to Michigan for steelhead fishing and I would always end up going into Michigan about midnite. Was asked about my trip and the guy was very inquisitive. Turned out he fished the same rivers. Following years turned into fishing reports and gear talk while the lone line backed up.

However, when my daughter was about 15 I once was told to pull over pronto. Was a little shocked by this - brought us all inside the building and lined up at the counter while MANY questions were asked. Asked what the deal was and they explained my daughter had put her blanket over her head as we went through and they wanted to make sure I wasn't kidnapping her.

As we pulled away and my blood pressure dropped I asked her why. Said she was having a bad hair day. 10 years later we can laugh about it, but every time we go through now I hand her a hair brush for fun.

Comment

Haven't been too Canada in a long time ,maybe 30 yrs. even with living only 5 miles from the border here in NNY .. Didn't realized there was such an emphasis on DWI's We've been planning a visit to Ottawa , And now it looks like we might have to rethink it , ,for haveing a DWI in 93 in downstate NY .. No Trouble ever before or after that but still don't want the hassle of being turned around if we do decide to go .. any sugestions on how to find out for sure, At least though it wouldn't be a long trip home if it did happen..

Comment

Originally posted by SESZOO View Post
                    Haven't been too Canada in a long time ,maybe 30 yrs. even with living only 5 miles from the border here in NNY .. Didn't realized there was such an emphasis on DWI's We've been planning a visit to Ottawa , And now it looks like we might have to rethink it , ,for haveing a DWI in 93 in downstate NY .. No Trouble ever before or after that but still don't want the hassle of being turned around if we do decide to go .. any sugestions on how to find out for sure, At least though it wouldn't be a long trip home if it did happen..
                    hopefully this link works, it should take you to a section about DUI convictions

good luck

Look up, and swear by the green of the spring that you’ll never forget.

Comment

Working...
                    X