Moose population dropping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moose population dropping?

Latest estimate for ADK moose is about 400. This is down significantly from previous estimates of around 1,000. Too bad - but the habitat may not be the best with older growth forest on state lands.

RAY BROOK — For the fourth year in a row, contractors and partners of the state Department of Environmental Conservation were out looking for and collaring m
    Ahh............Wilderness.......

As deer do also, moose definitely need browse and older growth forests don't have much.

Is deer carried brainworm still affecting ADK moose?

Comment

I'd guess the real reason is something entirely different.

Moose were able to survive in northeastern forests that were completely undisturbed and had a high % of "old growth". The fact that fires are not all that common as natural occurrences in our climate means our forests always will tend to the "old growth" state that some are approaching, but I have heard from reputable foresters the estimated number is more around 300 years for a forest in this area to return back to the way it was before disturbed.

I'd definitely suspect the answer is disease, coyotes or coywolves, climate, human encroachment, or any other number of factors.

The interesting thing to know would be what the forests in this area theoretically could support in terms of moose population given the resources that are available. I'd assume for such a large area, it has to be more than 400. Probably more than 1000 as well. So knowing that would suggest some other influence if we are starting to decline before reaching the max.

Comment

I've heard that ticks are a big problem for moose.

Comment

If the ticks really are an issue, then climate and human factors would be the root of the issue, no?

Comment

I wonder if the drop in the population is due to the more accurate method of estimating the population. Years past estimates seemed to be of the back of the envelope guestimates verse the latest round of aerial surveys and tracking. As stated in the latest report "Although the total number of moose was less than anticipated at the start of our surveys, the population appears to be in good physical condition with many calves seen accompanying females each year."

Comment

Probably a number of things have reduced the population and accurized the count. I've read lots of good reasons on this thread that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by montcalm View Post
                If the ticks really are an issue, then climate and human factors would be the root of the issue, no?
                Have not heard of any reports of Winter Ticks in NY. They are a factor in Maine and NH, but I think are only a problem in high moose population areas. That’s why they are bad in northern ME. I hunted moose in the North Maine Woods in 2015, killed a bull in Zone 4, and saw plenty of other hunter harvested moose, at the check station, and none that I saw were infested with winter ticks.

This post is kind of funny, early est. of 1000 moose and now est. of 400 moose ?
                So which estimate is correct ? Probably not either one.

Comment

I had thought that the surveys might be way off as well, thank for mentioning that...

BUT... and we don't know the details, to be off that much is pretty discouraging. Perhaps the initial was an over-estimate and the recent is an under-estimate? Hard to know without knowing a lot of the details.

So if we say the population is 700 ± 300, is that more plausible? Maybe, maybe not. I'd also say that's a pretty big tolerance to slap on such a small number. But it's probably much harder to estimate small populations in such a large area.

Comment

Prior to this study, DEC never really knew how many moose were in the Adirondacks, or NYS for that matter. Now they're getting a better handle on it, at least up here. That doesn't mean it's dropping, as previously it was never really known what the population was, it was only an estimate.

Overall, the moose that are here in the Adirondacks are fairing better in terms of winter ticks and brain parasites than those in some other areas, like Minnesota, for example. The Daily Enterprise article was based on a press release. More info is sure to come once DEC releases the data.
                    Last edited by Buckladd; 02-27-2018, 10:05 AM.
                    Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Comparing "guess #1" to "guess #2." I would not put too much concern into the number change until I saw the full data, and all the methods used to go from actual data to the "estimate."

Comment

Radio collaring has likely made it more accurate because counting previously was only done mostly by air over snow covered country.

Comment

Originally posted by poconoron View Post
                          Latest estimate for ADK moose is about 400. This is down significantly from previous estimates of around 1,000. Too bad - but the habitat may not be the best with older growth forest on state lands.

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise...-drops-to-400/
                          I think the ADK Daily Enterprise did a poor job of wording the article.

The current estimate for the ADK Moose population is 400.

The earlier estimate of 600-1000 was for NY's total Moose population.

NY's Moose population is not limited to living within the blue line.

Other than that, I think Buckladd makes some great points. The DEC had never really undertaken a serious Moose survey prior to this recent one. Prior estimates were likely based on vague parameters. Newer surveys, with more detailed methodology will yield more accurate results.

Also, I'll bet dollars-to-donuts that the new estimate of 400 for ADK's population is inherently conservative in order to have a built-in safety margin.

Comment

I prefer the lower number that way I can brag to friends that 1.25% (5) of all Adirondack Moose are on my lease property.

Seriously I think this is a more accurate estimate. A drop of 600 moose is a lot of big dead animals so where's the bodies?

Comment

Originally posted by Woodly View Post
                              Radio collaring has likely made it more accurate because counting previously was only done mostly by air over snow covered country.
                              Radio collaring moose in NY is not a recent event, the DEC has been doing it for at least 30 years. So I’m not sure why radio collaring would make the recent estimate more accurate ?

Comment

Working...
                              X