View Single Post
Old 05-24-2019, 11:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
To be fair, Iím fairly certain DEC will be keeping close tabs. The new AFR for that area is one of the best, and our group last Fall did briefly chat with an ECO on his way in as we were leaving. So staying positive here & looking forward to the things to come. I definitely look forward to visiting this area again, and continue to document how things have changed since the tract was first opened for public use.
I just heard back from David Winchell at DEC Region 5. Good info below, and I hope things can be kept nice:

(from DW)
I checked with the Forest Rangers that patrol that area and they said the statement is an exaggeration.

It is possible the vehicles observed may have been people from the leased camps who were allowed to use their camps and the road system until October 31, 2018. The public could not get vehicles past the Fly Pond Gate.

It is also possible they were DEC vehicles, reviewing plans for maintenance and infrastructure.

There will be additional staff patrolling the area this summer after we open up some additional access. See the press release: www.dec.ny.gov/press/117073.html

I hope you have the opportunity to access and enjoy the Boreas Ponds this summer.
2505 is offline   Reply With Quote