View Single Post
Old 01-21-2018, 09:47 PM   #33
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder45 View Post
That's a "problem" with a simple fix. NY (in fact all state) hunting and fishing fees, by law have to go towards state conservation efforts (studies, ECO/Ranger salaries, research, land work, ect.). In the same way that taxes on firearms, ammo and other camping supplies have to go towards state and federal conservation efforts (pittman robertson act). And many of those laws were written in decades ago, when corruption and state fiscal problems were quite common.

I don't know about paying for permits to use any state land, but paying for a permit to camp or hike in high-traffic areas (e.g. certain High Peaks trails) could be a way to deal with the increasing foot traffic in that area.
Simple fix today would be as common as finding a Morel growing wild in February...
Example - how ORDA budget woes were fixed last year.

I'm no expert on how 'the state' could justify charging a fee to enter High Peaks Wilderness and no fee for Dix, Pharoah or Whitney.
Would such a system be legal? (as the law stands today)

Last edited by timberghost; 01-21-2018 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: readability
timberghost is offline   Reply With Quote