St. Regis 9 Carries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Regis 9 Carries

I would like to do the St. Regis nine carries canoe route, I would like to start and end on Long Pond. Is it feasible to carry along the RR tracks from Little Green Pond to Hoel Pond?

Thanks
    Tom
    Last edited by tombaisley; 07-06-2017, 11:46 AM.

I don't know about getting into Hoel Pond at the eastern end of the RR tracks, but you should be able to go from Little Clear (I wouldn't bother with Little Green) to where the tracks cross/split Hoel/Turtle Pond with no issues.

Comment

I just did the 9 carries and asked that very same question of the folks at St. Regis Canoe Outfitters. They discouraged me from doing it due to the difficulty of navigating the railbed (part of the carry could be on a dirt road next to the tracks). I opted for the $45 shuttle service to have them move my van from the floodwood outpost to the Little clear parking lot. Had a great trip! Let us know how it goes.
      "We still do not know one thousandth of one percent of what nature has revealed to us." Albert Einstein
      "Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father." Matthew 10:29 "But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows."
      Luke 12:7

Comment

I have carried on RR tracks and it is difficult if you have to walk right on the tracks. The path alongside, if any, is often off camber.The space between the ties is usually not filled forcing you to walk on the ties which are never the propper distance apart. Carrying a boat and load compounds the difficulty -I could see a fall as possible. I have considered a canoe cart modified to ride on the rails, but never pursued it.

Comment

I have twice done loop trips in that area by stashing my canoe & gear out of sight of the road, and walking between the Little Clear parking area and my other end/start point. One time I left the canoe & stuff at Green Pond, drove the car to my end point at Little Clear, and walked back to the start. The other time I parked & started at Little Clear, ended at Hoel & stashed the canoe, and walked to Little Clear to get the car. It's an easy walk (and you can short-cut along the tracks for part of the way). I probably didn't even need to hide the canoe & gear, but it made me feel a bit more secure.

Comment

Or...Close the loop. paddle down Hatchery Brook to Upper Saranac Lake. Return to long Pond via Fish Creek, Floodwood Pond, and associated carries.

Comment

Just did it last week, will write up trip report.

Comment

Working...
              X