View Single Post
Old 11-24-2016, 01:39 PM   #32
Bounder45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman View Post
Mr Bounder,

No doubt hunters contribute a lot towards conservation but its not going into wolf conservation. So, whatever contributions hunters make to wildlife conservation is a moot point in this debate because none of that money is finding its way to protecting Eastern Wolves.

Now there is an outfitter just outside the Algonquin protected zone who offers guided hunts for wolves but he's only had one guest in last 4 years to hunt wolves. No, the typical hunter of THESE wolves is a local with a $25 license, a second hand rifle and a box of ammo he bought at Canadian Tire 5 years ago.
The whole point behind my view is that eastern wolves aren't really all that different from western ones and that wolves in general don't really need protection in most areas they currently inhabit, and certainly not in Canada (at least central Ontario and west of there). The various Canadian provinces (which have resident wolf populations) are managing them appropriately, which does entail some amount of hunting and culling. Their numbers and range have grown and, given time, will continue to grow.

As for how much hunting revenue is going towards protecting those wolves specifically located in Ontario, I couldn't tell you that since I'm not as familiar with Canada's hunting permitting procedures. But if average-joe hunters are paying $25 per license, my guess is that at least some of that money is going towards wolf-related conservation. My point on hunter-related revenue was more generically US-focused to show that hunting fees and revenue can go back towards helping a certain species.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman View Post
Second, wolf management in Alaska and Western Canada have nothing to do with this. It's sort of like comparing the management of moose populations of Alaska and the Adirondacks.
Well if and when wolves make their way back into the eastern parts of Canada, and possibly parts of the northeastern US, those management plans currently used out west will likely be very relevant to how they are managed here in the east. Like I said, if people truly want wolves to come back in established, breeding populations, they're going to have to accept that there will be hunting as part of their management, just like it is for any species once it becomes well established.
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote