Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historic Camping Event in need of a site

Hello,

I am a living historian and am in the process of planning an 1860s Adirondack weekend. Since the camps came in later in the 19th century, I was thinking it would really cool to actually camp, in canvas tents, and do things that people did in the 1860s - row boats, fishing, hiking etc.

I'm in need of a good place to do this. I'd like campground that is relatively simple and wooded on a lake. Group sites would be ideal - there may be about 25 of us. Cabins might be useful for those who don't have tents. It's so hard to search for such specifics on some of the camping sites.

Does anyone out there have suggestions? I'm looking at doing this event in 2018 so I have some time to plan.

Thank you so much,
    Jessica C.

You are not likely to convince the DEC to write a camping permit for that many people in one place on state land. Large crowds by their very nature tend to be the antithesis of LNT. I suggest that you could consider LNT as a part of your program.

You may find private resorts that would accommodate you. It won't be cheap. For cabin camping, try Timberlock on Indian Lake, for example. https://timberlock.com
    Last edited by Wldrns; 03-17-2017, 02:17 PM.
    "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Thank you for the suggestion of that camp. Sounds interesting.

What is the LNT?

I'm also looking into camps and house rentals, but I thought the camping idea might be simplest...maybe not.

Thank you again.

Comment

Originally posted by snowcraig View Post
        What is the LNT? .
        You have got to be kidding. Do you know anything at all about outdoor/camping ethics and care for the environment? Do some research, please.

Your other option may be a regional campground. LNT will still apply there.

DEC operates 51 campgrounds located in the Adirondack and Catskill Parks. DEC campgrounds provide a wide variety of experiences, including island camping, tent and trailer camping, boat launching facilities, hiking trails, beaches and day use areas with picnic tables and grills.

Last edited by Wldrns; 03-17-2017, 04:31 PM.
        "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Before this LNT rage. which a lot of people preach and then only seem to follow as it applies to their way, it was simply "leave it better than you found it". If nothing else, clearer than an acronym that someone may not have encountered.

Comment

Originally posted by aft paddle View Post
            Before this LNT rage. which a lot of people preach and then only seem to follow as it applies to their way, it was simply "leave it better than you found it". If nothing else, clearer than an acronym that someone may not have encountered.
            "leave it better" is a great concept that I grew up with as a kid and in Scouts, but what does "better" mean? To some, it means cutting new trails, literally, or by leaving colored flagging, to some it may mean building additional fire rings to accommodate huge bon fires, to others it may mean constructing furniture to leave behind made out of fresh cut green wood. All while playing a boom box so loud that everyone on a large lake can hear it too. LNT, as a principled set of guidelines and concepts addresses all of these kinds of issues.

Comment

LOL! Take it easy, at least he asked. There are plenty of greenhorns looking to enter the forest, lets welcome them and show them the way, the proper way.
              LNT is an acronym? How would one pronounce that if this is the case?
              "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

Originally posted by geogymn View Post
                LOL!
                LNT is an acronym? How would one pronounce that if this is the case?
                I've found two ways

EH-len./ti/ or /'nit,pik,NG
                Last edited by aft paddle; 03-18-2017, 08:33 AM.

Comment

I've found two ways

EH-len./ti/ or /'nit,pik,NG
                  Elenti, I like it! The other not so much.
                  I can see it being used as a greeting as you bypass some campers on the trail, Elenti! And the response would be Elenti Tu!
                  It could be the secret password for forum members could identify each other.

Comment

snowcraig

Sent you a PM

Comment

Originally posted by snowcraig View Post
                      I was thinking it would really cool to actually camp, in canvas tents, and do things that people did in the 1860s - row boats, fishing, hiking etc. ...
                      Hey! I camped in a canvas tent in the 1970s.

You may want to investigate what the Adirondack Mountain Club has to offer at their Heart Lake facility (Adirondak Loj). They have several options you can rent including lean-tos facing the lake, private cabins, camping sites (i.e. car-camping), and even canvas tents erected on platforms.
                      Looking for views!

Comment

Originally posted by geogymn View Post
                        Elenti, I like it! The other not so much.
                        I can see it being used as a greeting as you bypass some campers on the trail, Elenti! And the response would be Elenti Tu!
                        It could be the secret password for forum members could identify each other.
                        Nice.

Comment

I camped in a canvas tent in the very early 1990s, otherwise known as ye goode olde dayes.
                          Zach

Comment

Nice.
                            aft paddle, glad you can see the humor, let me buy you a beer sometime.

Comment

Of Course! I'll be the guy with "Elenti" plastered all over my hiking gear.

Comment

Working...
                              X