Historic Camping Event in need of a site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snowcraig View Post
    Group sites would be ideal - there may be about 25 of us. Does anyone out there have suggestions?
    Jessica,
    You may want to look into the Tioga Point Campground on Raquette Lake, where there are 15 different lean-tos that may be reserved. Best of luck & welcome to Adkforum.

Comment

Hi Jessica, welcome to the forum!

We are a mixed bunch!

You have already unknowingly begun practicing LNT by coming to the forum. You are doing your research and planning ahead! Indeed the very first priciple of LNT is Plan Ahead and Prepare. Sweet!

Would this event be somewhat in the fashion of a re-enactment? That would indeed be an interesting and challenging project in this day and age of LNT practices. The trouble with that is to practice LNT on a camping trip often requires using modern gear (synthetic clothing and shelter, stoves instead of fires etc.). However, doing the same basic activities as the "sports" did back in the day but using modern-day techniques and gear would certainly work.

I'm not sure of the dates, when did Adirondack Murray popularize the ADK outdoor movement?
      The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

Thank you for all this information. I was not familiar with the acronym, LNT, but am familiar with the leave no trace practice. Maybe this is not the right forum to ask my question. I was looking for potential sites to camp with my group and I know there are campgrounds out there that cater to larger groups and might be able to accommodate my needs. If this is not the forum to ask that question on, I apologize.

Thank you for those who provided suggestions of campgrounds.

Yes, this is a reenactment. We would not be using modern gear as that would defeat the purpose. I am researching 19th century camping as part of my research for this event. The tricky part is that the Adirondacks were not a big tourist destination until after the Civil War and my group's focus is the 1850s and 60s, so it is earlier than the Adirondack Camp movement. Those who did venture into the mountains camped, so to be authentic to that experience that's what I'm looking for.

Thanks again for the help offered.

Comment

Take a look at Magic Pines campground on rte 9 north of Lewis. I've been part of a large group there.
          The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

It sounds like an interesting effort. According to my very limited understanding of Adirondack history the early visitors did various things with that worked then but are no longer permitted on state land, such as building brush lean-tos, bough beds and such. Perhaps these things could be done on private land, if you could find a willing landowner, or perhaps this is not what you have in mind. Best of luck with whatever you end up doing.
            Zach

Comment

Snowcraig - For what it's worth, I am involved in living history events but in an earlier time frame; 17th & 18th century. I've taken part in an annual event that takes place on Lake George every October for the past few years. One thing I think you'll need to do is alter your mindset a bit. Not everything that was acceptable then is allowed now. Depending on where you decide to go you might not be able to have open fires. And, if you can, firewood may not be readily available. For that reason you might want to think about bringing firewood in with you. Although that's not historically correct, it would allow you to cook and be sure you have enough fuel for your needs. Your group size may also not be allowed where you'd like to go. It's good that you're checking this all out ahead of time but don't be surprised if that becomes a bit of a stumbling block for you; although Justin's suggestion of Tioga Point on Raquette Lake is a good one since you can reserve the sites ahead of time (although you might have a lot of folks looking at you throughout your weekend wondering what the heck is going on - LOL). Bottom line, you can probably pull this off if you want to while staying within LNT guidelines. It's just not going to be easy. If there's anything you think I can do to help you, please don't hesitate to PM me.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Comment

Originally posted by snapper View Post
                Not everything that was acceptable then is allowed now. Depending on where you decide to go you might not be able to have open fires. And, if you can, firewood may not be readily available. For that reason you might want to think about bringing firewood in with you.
                Snowcraig, Please note that it is illegal to transport firewood more than 50 miles from its source.
                "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Another option might be an area like the Powley-Piseco Rd in the Ferris Lake Wild Forest, where there are several designated campsites not very far from each other along the dirt road. There are some pretty good hiking, & paddling (or rowing) options nearby also. However, this is a popular area, and the campsites are first come first serve and tend to fill up quickly on summer & fall weekends, so getting a few of them close enough together to accommodate your group size may not be very easy, but certainly possible, especially if you plan to go midweek, and not during the big game hunting season.

Similar options are also available in the Hudson River Special Management Area, AKA the "Bearslides" or "Buttermilk Area".

Comment

Snowcraig, I'm very interested in learning more about this event. What do you plan to do to make it historically​ authentic?

For example, I can imagine that none of the clothing or equipment used can be made of modern materials (like synthetic fabrics, anything electrical, processed food, plastics, or metals like aluminum or stainless steel). Now we're talking about wool and cotton clothing, leather footwear, enameled or cast iron cookware, and simple foods (no coolers or ice!).Canned food was available at the time so that's permissible. I don't think you can bring a lantern unless it burns whale oil because kerosene was very new in 1850.

Your first challenge at Tioga Point is crossing the lake to access the lean-tos. You'll need to rent canoes that aren't made of aluminum or synthetics.

Quite the challenge and an interesting exercise!
                    Looking for views!

Comment

On the list of NYSDEC Adirondack Campgrounds, I've been to... Forked Lake, Lake Durant, Moffitt Beach, Indian Lake Islands, Paradox Lake, & Putnam Pond. All of which may be able to suit your group's needs, with fun hiking & rowing options located on the premises or nearby.
                      Lake Eaton, Golden Beach, Harris Lake, Lewey Lake, Limekiln Lake, Mecham Lake, or Nicks Lake might work also, but I can't comment on those with any first hand experience.
                      Last edited by Justin; 03-22-2017, 07:35 PM.

Comment

You can get a good idea of some of the state campgrounds and sites that are pictured here
                        http://www.campadk.com/campsitephotos.html. I guess you would have to contact the campground to see what they allow for groups at adjoining sites etc.

Comment

Oh yeah.....Elenti

Comment

Originally posted by aft paddle View Post
                            You can get a good idea of some of the state campgrounds and sites that are pictured here
                            http://www.campadk.com/campsitephotos.html. I guess you would have to contact the campground to see what they allow for groups at adjoining sites etc.
                            Six people per site, two vehicles, one hard-top unit, not sure about tents. Other than that, you just have to behave.
                            Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

I am a regular camper (mostly modern car camping) with my family and understand that transporting wood across state lines is not permitted. I am also a hiker and spend a lot of time in the woods. My husband is a back country hiker and other-wise all around adventurer, so I'm familiar with the rules and regulations and challenges if we were go to the back country route.

For those that are curious, I have done two events in the past two years with a group of living historians re-creating 1860s hiking/tourism. The first was on the summit of Mount Mansfield - we drove up the auto (then carriage road) and had a Green Mountain Club take us on a hike. Then we had a period correct picnic. Last year we were on the summit of Mount Washington. Most of our group took the Cog Railroad, but some of us drove up the auto (then carriage) road. We rented the Tip Top House for the day. The weather was absolutely horrible so we did not get any small hikes out from the summit, but we had an authentically inside day at the summit. We do all this in 100% period clothing from undergarments, to shoes, to outwear. It is a lot of fun.

If I go forward with an event in the Adirondack region and we decide to camp, I will look for a campground that can accommodate our need (hence my original post). People will arrive by car, so we will need a place to put cars. A group site would be great, but adjoining sites could be okay. We will sleep in canvas tents on cots/beds/bedrolls - all natural fibers and filling - straw mattress, cotton and wool blankets. We will dress authentically the entire time. Cooking will be done over a fire in a period manner. Water (will be procured from a potable source) will be stored in period containers - jugs or bottles. Light sources will be lanterns at night. Most of the participants are used to Civil War encamptments, so period camping is not difficult for us. Because everything is stored in period containers, we actually make very little trash, so that is not a big issue.

The activities we would do would be hiking - mostly short excursions but could be longer for adventurous folks. If we are near a lake, I'd love to have a row boat - finding something period might be a challenge, so we can make allowances for that if need. People during this time period sketched and studied nature. They sat in nature and read and enjoyed the views. I think there is fun potential for us. I just have to find the right location.

Oh and this would just be an experience for us - not an open-to-the-public type of an event. Of course, we would be happy to chat with those we encounter about what we are doing.

Probably more than you wanted to know. Thanks again for your suggestions!

Comment

There is a group site at Rogers Rock Campground for up to 60 people. It's on the water and back out of the way for this very reason. I've not seen it myself so I can't comment on how wooded it is but it could be a very good option for what you would like to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X