View Single Post
Old 11-13-2003, 04:32 PM   #6
mtgoat
Mountain Man Moderator

I am 48, grew up in N.E. Pa. and have always been interested in the outdoors. I lived on the edge of Hazleton, which is the highest town in the state and after school would always get the dog and wander off for about 5-10 miles almost every day. I was in scouting and made Life Scout just before my 16th birthday. The summer I turned 16 I hiked the Appalacian Trail from Close to where it crosses from Md. to Pa. and the entire length through Pa. to N.Y and back to Blue Mtn in Pa. After school I went into the Army for 9y/8m/11d and that tore the boy scouts right out of me except for my love of the outdoors. During that time I got to see (but not as a tourist) Asia, Africa, South and Central America up real close and personal. I got to camp out at -70F for the first time in my life as well as see 3 distictnctly different kinds of jungle. I learned more about survival and a lot of other useful things than 100 people would learn in a lifetime. After that I moved to Alaska till 3 1/2 yrs ago when I moved to Texas. Now I am trying for a bit of a career change and get back to the outdoors. I like computers and science related subject a lot and have been doing a lot of tech work on the side. I can't wait to get back to where I can stretch my legs again without sweating 5 gallons a day.
mtgoat is offline   Reply With Quote