No announcement yet.

Stillwater Fire Tower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grand opening is July 2nd @ 11am. Check the Facebook page linked in the previous post for more information.

Comment

I haven't been on this forum for 3 mo. Thanks all you guys for your support. We had a great opening on July 2nd, and lots of visitors through the summer. We had 250-300 for our opening, and averaged 50 hikers a week thru Labor Day. Met Cold River Bob up to the tower yesterday who's a member of this forum.

Tomorrow 9/12/16, we're setting a replacement marker of Verplanck Colvin't 1882 Station 77 marker that was stolen from the summit decades ago and discovered by Iraq War Vet Kyle Kristiansen in 2013 ... in NJ! Look us up in on the Adirondack Almanack or the Sept/Oct. issue of Adirondack Explorer.

Comment

As a note of information, the Fire Tower trail is closed until December 20, 2016. We drove all the way there yesterday because it was a beautiful day, only to find it was closed. We guessed it was because of hunting season.

Comment

Stillwater fire tower trail is open, but the parking lot is not plowed....

Comment

Originally posted by MoodyBlues View Post
            Stillwater fire tower trail is open, but the parking lot is not plowed....
            Thanks.

What is Big Moose Road like during the winter? Plowed/passable?

Comment

Plowed, but watch out for excessively speeding snowmobiles!
              "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by Wldrns View Post
                Plowed, but watch out for excessively speeding snowmobiles!
                Thanks for the tip!

Comment

I climbed Stillwater today. The friends of Stillwater did an excellent job I don't think I have seen a tower get the care like this one did. I hope no one abuses it. Someone put a lot of workmanship in that map table in the cab. There was a lot of detail on the outer rim of the map. It will take me awhile to absorb it. I noticed a flagged Rock Pond Mountain on the rim. I was wondering if that was Mount Electra's former name. There was also an alidade. The cab had a neat storage area in the roof, a swinging door at the stairs opening, a quad chair with cup holders to sit in, there were glass windows that could be opened and there was an American Flag waving in the wind. I was most impressed. A communication antennae was installed on it too. I would like to see it during the fall
                  Last edited by Lonehiker; 07-13-2017, 12:22 AM.

Comment

I climbed it yesterday, 06/12/18 and echo the previous comments. Very easy climb. Picnic table at the tower to enjoy lunch too. Views not very spectacular IMO, but a great climb for the family. Now they need to add this fire tower to the "Views from on High" book so it gets listed as one of the fire tower challenge peaks.

Comment

Originally posted by EagleCrag View Post
                      Now they need to add this fire tower to the "Views from on High" book so it gets listed as one of the fire tower challenge peaks.
                      Second Edition was released within the last year. Should have Stillwater in there.
                      Newly revised 2nd Edition in 2021. This popular hiking guide to fire tower trails enables hikers, history buffs, and others fond of Adirondack and Catskill trails to visit and learn about 30 historic fire towers. Detailed trail descriptions are accompanied by numerous photographs and maps as well as an essay about these structures written by

And it is part of the Fire Tower Challenge. Details here...

Comment

Thanks Makwa, I just ordered the updated book.

Comment

Working...
                        X