View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
Limekiln

I can't speak for cars, but I've had a bunch of GM Duramax 3/4 ton trucks over the last 10 years, and currently own two. They get considerably better gas milage than the gas trucks but upfront cost is more. You'll have to do the math and see it the numbers work for your particular situation. Keep in mind the resale value on diesel trucks is higher so even if you don't recoup the additional upfront costs in fuel savings you should get it back when you sell.

The newer diesels have a exhaust particulate filter and they use urea injection to keep the exhaust cleaner. I add 2-3 gallons of urea to my 2012 truck roughly every 5,000 miles. It's not a big deal. The particulate filter hurts the milage a little as it uses diesel to burn off the soot.

Diesel technology has come a long way in the last few years. Cold weather starting is no problem. My truck is usually in a garage or plugged in below zero but I've started at 25 below unplugged with no problem. The new engines are not much louder than a gas engine and the exhaust doesn't stink.

I guess only you know if a diesel fit your lifestyle but I've been very happy with mine.