Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Environmentalists announce they've filed suit over Tupper resort

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise....html?nav=5047

I for one would like this settled once and for all.

"All but conclusive of this aspect of the issue is the constitutional and legislative history stretching over 80 years to preserve the Adirondack Area from despoliation, exploitation, and destruction by a contemporary generation in disregard of the generations to come."

Bingo!!!

But isn't that "unamerican"?
    "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

I took pictures of all sorts of ancient (by ancient I mean 40's and 50's) junk on state land. For some reason I always think about that damn tupper development and the effect on the surrounding state lands forever.

Nothin unamerican about a good ol' fight over principles.
      A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they never shall sit in

Comment

From the article:
        While much of the intensive development is proposed for lands classified "Moderate Intensity Use," where the law intends for it take place, of major concern to PROTECT! and the Sierra Club, is the proposed fragmentation of 4,805 acres of undeveloped forest lands classified "Resource Management" by the Adirondack Park Agency Act, into 35 "Great Camp" lots and 45 other smaller lots.
        By my calculation that's an average of 60 acres per lot.

From APA website:
        RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
        Most development activities in resource management areas will require an Agency permit; compatible uses include residential uses, agriculture, and forestry. Special care is taken to protect the natural open space character of these lands.
        Avg lot size: 42.7 acres.
        Scooting here and there
        Through the woods and up the peaks
        Random Scoots awaits (D.P.)

"Pushing the limits of easy."™

Comment

Hate to beat a dead horse but there is nothing else to beat. Anyone interested in fragmentation of the last best chunk of forest in the lower 48 might read, " The Song of the Dodo" by David Quammen. His discussion of SLOSS ( single large or several small) is sobering if not downright elegiac.
          This Tupper decision is a threnody of a elegant dream. Now lets go gently into that good night.
          "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

One allegation in the lawsuit, if true, which raises an eyebrow is the allegation that the agency required certain studies, etc... to be completed and they allegedly weren't and the agency still approved the permit. Again this is just one of the allegations, but if true it does raise my level of concern.
            "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Comment

I am going strictly by memory but I remember the study issue surrounding amphibeans. Basically the APA commissioned an amphibean study based on what they thought was there and the study found a dozen more species or some crazy number. So an additional study should have been commissioned based on the unexpeceted discoveries but the APA felt it was not necessary to satisfy the watershed stewardship role.

That's one example I recall I'm sure there are many others. i.e. not clearcut either way once again!
              A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they never shall sit in

Comment

Working...
              X