View Single Post
Old 12-04-2014, 09:24 PM   #11
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I'm curious if people think that the southern Adks lack a certain degree of all types of outdoor recreational opportunities
Some things are lacking compared to other areas, some are comparable, some are sufficient. It certainly deserves more attention.

Quote:
or is this more about having easy access
In some cases yes, in most no. I believe a certain amount of easy access hikes and paddles are good for occasional users. I don't see them making anything any easier except possibly maintaining or creating new trails. There are a number of easy access recreational opportunities but they are lacking maintenance compared to other regions.

Quote:
large parking areas, trail register kiosks, more signs, official trail markers,
You make this sound as those these are bad things. Maybe from your perspective or someone selling guide books, it is. Parking areas should be sufficient to accommodate users. In some cases they aren't and it becomes a mess or a safety concern. I can't think of any situations like that in the Southern Adks really.

Trail registers, signs, and trail markers are all good things in my mind. As are designated camp sites. There are far too many illegal ones in the area that aren't being managed for use. So you wind up with obvious, ugly man-made holes in the forest around lakes and streams.

Anyone can choose to leave a trail at any time. You don't need to sign the register, but those things are there for peoples safety. If the trails are properly designed and maintained, then the markers keep the majority of people to those areas. And best of all, signs and markers can allow people to explore as they feel. They don't need to be guided by a book. But even with the signs, people still use the books.

Quote:
and motorized access?
There is already a large degree of this in the area. There is a large degree of this in the entire park. I don't see the DEC putting up money to build roads or allowing private parties to do so. The only thing you may ever see them do is build a handicap accessible area, and frankly, I'd get used to that... it's part of the legislation now.

Last edited by montcalm; 12-04-2014 at 09:37 PM..
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote