View Single Post
Old 07-18-2017, 07:03 PM   #6
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Back to the question:"What did you learn?" You learned a lot and some of what you learned was helpful. Your next questions should revolve around what other information would be helpful? Your primary question has to be: How do brook trout behave under these conditions?

Your 7:00AM friend taught you one thing: the fish will be out and feeding at some point on most days.They will probably make their feeding forays when temperature and light levels are most to their liking. They may not be out and about for long. They may sit somewhere comfortable the rest of the day.

Where might that be? What was the water surface temperature? How deep is the thermocline? Are there any local temperature variations that could concentrate fish? BTW, I stop fishing when the surface temperature reaches 68 because that's the safe limit for releasing brookies. If you're keeping fish, no matter.

I think your strategy of putting a small fly behind a streamer was a good one. My guess is that your flies were 10 feet over their heads and they couldn't be bothered to come up for a look.

Another strategy that you could try (although it's about as exciting as watching paint dry) is to drop a couple of chironomids off an indicator. Suspend them 18" off the bottom.

Or you could wait for Autumn to concentrate the fish in shallow water...