No announcement yet.

Restoring an old tent...How to...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Companies like L.L.Bean (and especially L.L. Bean) have built their business on the reputation earned for offering a lifetime warranty on their brand of product. Nobody should be made to feel guilty to at least ask such a company to stand behind their reputation and their well-publicized lifetime warranty. They might tell you that the lifetime of the product is past, but that's the worst-case scenario. You might also be offered a new tent at a reduced price. I say ask.
    "Like" my FB page http://tinyurl.com/FB-BuffaloPaddles and visit my map ALGonquin Bob's "BUFFALO PADDLES" Paddle Guide

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W

Comment

Originally posted by ALGonquin Bob View Post
      Companies like L.L.Bean (and especially L.L. Bean) have built their business on the reputation earned for offering a lifetime warranty on their brand of product. Nobody should be made to feel guilty to at least ask such a company to stand behind their reputation and their well-publicized lifetime warranty. They might tell you that the lifetime of the product is past, but that's the worst-case scenario. You might also be offered a new tent at a reduced price. I say ask.
      I think the tread that said it best was "Are you still satisfied.?"

I often find myself asking the question and most times I am though sometimes I'm not and I address the question to them.

I had a sweater from LLBean and it was worn out. I was satisfied so I removed the LLBean label and gave it to the salvation army.

Comment

I work for LLBean

While they are an accommodating company they are not stupid.

Are you sure that you have not gotten satisfaction from 20 years use?

Its NOT a lifetime guarantee. Its a customer satisfaction guarantee. Eyebrows raise when the code on the unit comes back with a year of manufacture of 1989. If you have only gotten two years of use and have a problem that is a different situation.

You can get yourself in a bit of hotwater by abuse of the customer satisfaction guarantee. There have been prosecutions.

Comment

Way back when, say 30 years ago, I returned an item that I was dissatisfied with because I broke it. I should have eaten the loss , but I took advantage of the 100% lifetime guarantee. I have matured and would never take advantage again.
          Well they showed me, Leon removed me from his mailing list!

Prosecutions? Wow, that is something!
          Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
          Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Comment

Originally posted by yellowcanoe View Post
            You can get yourself in a bit of hotwater by abuse of the customer satisfaction guarantee. There have been prosecutions.
            I have a hard time believing that LL Bean has prosecuted a customer for something like this.

ANYTIME. This is a completely subjective guarantee. Whatever one's view of satisfaction is, LL Bean will back it up when it comes to their products, at ANYTIME. Now I wouldn't most items that was more than a decade old, but how one takes this guarantee is completely relative. I wouldn't think one way or another of someone depending on how they used this guarantee.

When my father was in the Navy way back in the 70s, he bought top of the line Bose speakers and stereo equipment. About 6 or 7 years ago or so they just stopped working. All of his other stereo equipment in this set up still worked fine. He called Bose, not for a replacement, but to see if they made those speakers anymore. Well they did not, but they did inform him that a top of the line, similar set of speakers was on their way to his house. Do you think he's ever bought anything besides Bose? Definitely not after that experience.

Especially today in a world where you can hardly call a customer service rep without speaking to someone who speaks English as a 3rd language, a reputable customer service and guarantee go a very long way with some people such as myself. Just like being made in the USA or being made in a natural, sustainable way.
            “Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.”

~John Muir

Photos

Comment

Working...
            X