Thread: Foraging Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2017, 09:38 PM   #85
Snag Locator
Epic fails on the foraging front for me lately. Before labor day I scouted my maitake trees and locally and there was a new one sprouting, only an inch high so I left it for a few days to grow and of course someone got it. Then yesterday I went fishing/exploring in the southern adk for something to do in this late summer weather. On the way into the pond, I spied a big perfect lion's mane on a dying beech 30 yards off the trail. I went through the hobblebush with my canoe and grabbed it but then realized I didn't have a bag to put it in such that it wasn't in my backpack with the fishing stuff so I set it down beside the trail to get it on the way out. After all, I was only going to fish for a couple hours and who would venture down the trail this early in the morning and also be a mushroom hunter. 0.5 miles down the trail I found another nice lion's mane on a dead tree right next to the trail. Again I figured I'd grab it on the way out. Needless to day, both were gone when I walked out. I was peeved to say the least but it was my own doing so I guess the blame lies with me. So for those venturing out, lions mane is hot right now and I've seen plenty of honey's if you're into those (I'm not).
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote