Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie possibly hiking Algonquin - need a lot of advice!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin
    If you want a peak that is near 5000', not to busy and has a nice camping spot, I would recommend hiking Dix from Rt73. You could pitch your tent at the Boquet River Lean-to. the view from Dix summit is amazing.
    Why is it that such a fine peak sees so many less people than Marcy and Algonquin? I was all alone with my son on the summit on a cloudless Sat., OK it was late, ie. 6:00pm but still.. I don't get it. Not that I'm complaining, it was great.
    The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil
      Why is it that such a fine peak sees so many less people than Marcy and Algonquin? I was all alone with my son on the summit on a cloudless Sat., OK it was late, ie. 6:00pm but still.. I don't get it. Not that I'm complaining, it was great.
      Shhhh.
      A man needs to believe in something. I believe I'll go hiking.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac

Comment

why less people on DIX

For one thing, there are a lot less parking spaces if you hike Dix. Maybe 20-30 cars from either Rte 73 (Round pond) or Elk Lake.

The Loj can handle something like 300 cars (I am guessing here).

Plus there is the allure of climbing the highest peak in NY (Marcy).

Algonquin, along with Giant, Cascade and Phelps, is one of the easier high peaks.
        My hiking blog

Comment

I've been up Dix three times, and had the summit to myself each time. I dunno...it's probably a combination of reasons already mentioned including, maybe, the fact that it's a fairly long day hike and generally steeper than Marcy or Algonquin from any direction.

Sounds like you're getting some great advice here, etutt...best of luck to you!
          "Gentlemen! There's no fighting in here, this is the War Room!"

- from the movie Dr. Strangelove

Comment

why is Marcy and Algonquin so popular? Location, location, location!

Everybody wants to climb Marcy because it's the tallest, and they find out about Algonquin once at the Loj. Let's face it, the Adirondack Loj is a tourist trap - although a nicely run and convenient tourist trap - and it offers a comfortable base camp for many hikers - especially those vacationing in LP who are doing a day hike or such. I doubt 1/3 of all hikers that use that area seriously consider being a 46er, so most don't venture out as far as Keene Valley to do any hiking. Why drive an extra 1/2 hour to an hour to go climb #6, when you can hike #1 and #2 so close to LP and even drive up #5?

Not that it's a bad thing, but I meet so few hikers along the way that love the mountains for just being mountains, love the trails for all the mud and rock they throw at you, and are more obsessed with the best view and solitude than just peak bagging. We're a rare breed!

etutt - please don't take any advice personal, I'm sure most of us have all been caught with our pants down at some time or another in the A-dacks and are probably coming across overly cautious. The biggest message I think you can take away from this is to not take the High Peaks for granted. Wear the proper clothing, Bring the proper gear to cover all bases, expect the extremes, allot for more time than you think you'll need, be safe and use your head. It's a beautiful area and dear to all of us. Hopefully you'll feel the same!

Muddy
            "Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul." John Muir

my fishing/hiking blog: http://thewestcanadafreak.blogspot.com/

Comment

I appreciate all the replies! You guys are great! It is so nice to have a forum like this devoted to an area I love right in my home state. I never dreamed there would be such an active online community. Thanks again!

I learned through my previous internet searching and by talking to other hikers not to take the Adirondacks for granted. After going on a hike unprepared in Shenandoah a couple years back with not enough water on a 95 degree day, I know how exhausting and even dangerous back country hiking and camping can be. I hope to keep learning and I hope you guys put up with my stupid questions until one day I have something to contribute back I have already bought some new clothes and equipment based on your advice.

I want this hike to go well because I've been planning it for some time. As I said, I broke my ankle badly 1 1/2 years ago and am still recovering from it. A year or go, I was told that my Talus bone was necrotic (dying bone) and would eventually collapse my ankle and completely cripple me. Before that, I was actually misdiagnosed and went painfully walking around on the broken ankle for 5 months until they discoverred it on my 5th or 6th x-ray (I had also broken my tibia which was the only fracture they picked up on the x-ray originally). During my recovery, I did not know if I would ever walk again, but my goal was to conquer either Marcy or Algonquin if I did recover. Things are looking up for me now and my ankle will likely not collapse at this point. I am able to jog, play basketball, and even hiked 8 miles or so already this summer in Shenandoah. Making it up to the peak will be really significant and symbolic for me in a few ways. No better way to appreciate good health and a working ankle than to conquer a mile-high mountain! When I was still on crutches last fall, I actually made it up to Whiteface's summit in a car and then up the elevator
              Last edited by etutt; 09-10-2004, 08:57 PM.

Comment

You may want to consider getting hiking poles in the future. They help out alot on un-even terrain, they especially reduce articular pressure when going down, and provide extra support. Wouldn't be a bad idea considering your ankle.

Considering it's a sport that just involves walking up and down, there is a hell of alot of equipment expenses$$$$. It never stops... and then you want to buy a kayak, a canoe, a mountain bike,... and bigger garage to put these in.
                Who needs a Psych when you have the outdoors.

Comment

Algonquin is no small mountain. My husband and I climbed it Sept 4th along with Iroquois and Wright (as long as we were there already). I didn't just get up off the couch and decide to climb a mountain. I walk about 4 miles every day including hills and stairs along the way. This made 17 high Peaks for me in 2 years. Yet I was in the Drs office on Tuesday with a severe case of tendinitis. I had gain 6# in 2 days with the swelling in my legs and I could hardly walk. My legs are back and I'm ready to go again but my point is... it is not an easy hike. With your history with your ankle you might want to try St Regis, Arab, Azure or if you want a High Peak try Cascade and see how the ankle does.
                  ( I know Hawk. I should have come to the cook-off, but I may still have gained the 6# and it wouldn't have been from swollen legs but rather from a full belly. Sorry I missed it)

Comment

Hakuna, can you tell me how busy was the trail and the camping area when you went? How many others were on the summit with you?

Originally posted by Hakuna Matada
                    Algonquin is no small mountain. My husband and I climbed it Sept 4th along with Iroquois and Wright (as long as we were there already). I didn't just get up off the couch and decide to climb a mountain. I walk about 4 miles every day including hills and stairs along the way. This made 17 high Peaks for me in 2 years. Yet I was in the Drs office on Tuesday with a severe case of tendinitis. I had gain 6# in 2 days with the swelling in my legs and I could hardly walk. My legs are back and I'm ready to go again but my point is... it is not an easy hike. With your history with your ankle you might want to try St Regis, Arab, Azure or if you want a High Peak try Cascade and see how the ankle does.
                    ( I know Hawk. I should have come to the cook-off, but I may still have gained the 6# and it wouldn't have been from swollen legs but rather from a full belly. Sorry I missed it)

Comment

When we first got to the summit of Algonquin (about 12noon) there was about 12 to 15 people. We stayed there for awhile eating lunch and listening to everyone chat on their cell phones. Then we went over to Iroquios and shared that summit with 3 other people. When we got back on Algonquin at about 2:30 there were about 25 people including a girl scout group. On our way up we were passed by 4 young boys that were heading over Algonquin and down to Lake Colden. On the way down we just kept meeting people going up with full overnight packs. I would guess they also would be heading to Lake Colden. Maybe 8 - 10 more with packs. I even made the comment that it would be crowded at Lake Colden that night.
                      By the way , if you go to Wright go over to the north side off the trail just before the summit and check out the plane crash. I was surprised at how much of it was still there and had not been lugged off yet.
                      Enjoy the hike

Comment

I think all the advice here is good. I definately think I would consider some poles if I were in your shoes. You can invest $30 at EMS, and all of a sudden you are much more stable on the descents, and have a way of balancing yourself in many more sticky situations. They are also great for stream crossings.

As for your trip plans. I say go for it. Look at the map, set a goal, and just do it. If you hike more then one high peak, you will learn which ones are busy and which ones are not. The only way to get good at trip planning, and backpacking in general is to get out there.

As for conditioning. It is good that you are doing some. 1.8 miles is going to seem like a walk in the park after Algonquin. I train year round now for my 6+ trips to the mountains. I suffer durring training in order to enjoy the climbing, and last longer. 8 miles in 1 day with a pack is not a big deal.

Last piece of advice. lay out all your gear. Find at least 1 thing, and dont bring it. Just 1. If you do this everytime you go, you will learn what you really need, and really dont. (make sure its not a map or a compass).

-percious
                        http://www.percious.com

Comment

Good advice.. thank you. My 1.8 mile daily walk has a pretty darn big elevation gain, but I realize it is probably nothing compared to Algonquin. I do feel as though I am in good enough shape to get up the mountain.. it just might be pretty slow going The trip is a go for this Sat.. I will be sure to let you all know how it turns out.

Comment

We made it! It took staying at the camping area by the waterfall overnight twice and a couple of scary reminders of what supplies we should have brought, but we made it to the peak. Today, I am now sick from the crazy temperature changes and my entire body hurts. It took us 3 hours to get from the LOJ to the camping area and then another 3 hours to get from the camping area to the peak. I think it took another 3 to get back to the camping area from the peak and then another 2 to get back to the car (almost limping and completely beat up by then). Some of those scrambles and slides were pretty crazy! It made us feel pretty out of shape when a middle-aged couple came up to the peak when we were there and told us how they got up there from the parking lot in 2 hours and expected to get back in 1.5.
                            Due to your recommendations, I found that the trekking poles were VERY valueable and we each bought one non-cotton "hiking" outfit at an outdoors store. You were very right about how horrible cotten clothes are. We should have had more than just one "hiking" outfit. I made sure not to sweat or get the cotten clothes wet in any way, because I knew they would not be wearable later in the night when the temperature dropped to 30 - 40 degrees.
                            It got pretty dark and started raining on the way down from the summit despite the forecast for no rain.. that was pretty scarey. Luckily we took what we needed, but mostly we just got lucky.. more rain and I think we would have been calling for a rescue if we could get a cellphone signal!
                            Thank you again for all of your help guys! I am taking a nice day off to stay home and rest up after what I can call one of the most physically demanding experiences of my life.

Comment

Age doesn't mean squat on the trail. A 67 year old 46er named Fred got to the top of Skylight and back to the loj 15 minutes ahead of me this past January.

[BTW -- I'm 29 and after 37 peaks so far this year I'm in the best shape of my life I'll give Fred a run for his money this winter ]
                              Last edited by Kevin; 09-22-2004, 02:57 PM.

Comment

You must be right. I saw a few older hikers blazing right by us.. just makes me feel even more out of shape for being 22!

Comment

Working...
                                X