View Single Post
Old 04-20-2015, 02:05 AM   #91
dmartenvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Quick question...
Can a lone coyote howl similar in sound to a wolf howl?
I only ask because my father & I were camped in the West Canada Lakes Wilderness a few years ago when we both heard a wolf-like howl not too far from where we were camped, at right around dusk.
We both have heard coyotes many times before, and we both agreed that it didn't sound like a coyote. Whatever it was howled for several seconds, maybe close to a minute in length, and then we never heard anything further.
True story.
I did hear a wolf howl one night several years ago at my place (Northeastern ADKs); it was stunning. It was very different from the yips and howls of the coy-wolf packs that I usually hear. They did not take up residency, they were around for a short time, and from what I could tell there 3-4 of them. I found their tracks and sign as well. It was amusing because I had an elderly visitor from Ireland who went white as a ghost when I dragged him onto the porch to listen; I think he thought it was a banshee cry.

As for wildlife, I am not terribly remote, a couple miles outside town. On my land I've either seen, gotten photos from the trail cam, heard, or seen sign of coy-wolves, fox, deer , porcupines, pine martens, fisher, ravens, pheasants, turkeys, spruce grouse, ruffed grouse, bitterns, herons, pileated woodpeckers, owls, turtles, snowshoe hares and bears. Numerous chipmunks, some red squirrels, mice mice and more mice; voles, etc. I came across moose tracks this winter, and signs of bobcat a few years ago.

But on a regular walk, I will not see much, the wildlife come and go with the seasons and some years seem to be more plentiful. Recently the deer have been more plentiful, as have the barred owls. Fisher, bears, bobcat, moose are more elusive.

I have a vernal pond that the wood frogs breed in, and have seen all sorts of salamanders and mud puppies (?) and other slithery things I can't identify. Bullfrogs seem to be on the decline.

The land was last logged around 50 years ago, though my neighbors log their land. The logging has been more active recently, which probably accounts for the upsurge in deer. The bears haven't visited for about a year, I expect them back for this year's blueberry crop. I do know that a couple of the bears who would come through in the late summer/early fall (they seemed to be on a schedule) were shot and killed by neighbors, but I had a new mother and cub who I hope do the same.

One thing that strikes me is the relatively low bird population. I am not a great identifier of birds, but it always seem Spring should be a little noisier. I do wish the wildlife was a bit more abundant, but I have three dogs who keep them at bay. Except the owls, crows, and ravens, who appear to stick around to torture them from above. Still, I am not sure if what I also perceive as the lower wildlife numbers is simply the fact that the native carrying capacity, as the forest matures, is lower than one would expect from a more "managed" forest.
dmartenvt is offline   Reply With Quote