View Single Post
Old 06-07-2016, 04:50 PM   #21
mulveyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluequill View Post
Yes, bikes can legally ride on the road but are required to adhere to the same traffic regulations that vehicles do. Stop signs, traffic lights AND keeping up a minimum safe speed. If you are biking on a road that has a posted 55 mph speed limit and are only going 18 mph, GET OUT of the middle of the road and let vehicle traffic safely pass!

BTW, I road bike also.
I bike around 4000 miles a year, everywhere from NYC to the Adirondacks, so I have a wee bit of experience with this...

You're ignoring one of the primary reasons why cyclists will control the lane when necessary; because drivers will often attempt unsafe passes when cyclists are too far off to the right. They'll try and squeeze by in the same lane, passing in some cases, mere inches from you when you're riding. If you're in the left tire track, then drivers will make safer passes in the opposite lane. It's a tried and proven technique that reduces the danger to the people who are actually vulnerable on the road.

Obviously the golden rule still applies; if there's sufficient room on the shoulder to safely ride *and* allow cars to pass safely, then that's where you should be. But--and this is something that a lot of drivers choose to ignore--cyclists are NOT obligated to go careening off the shoulder just because the driver can't maintain their patience for the very short period of time it takes to wait for a safe passing opportunity.

There's no such thing as a second-class user of the roads; we're all just trying to get somewhere, we all have people who who care for us. Sometimes that means that it takes a little extra time for everyone to make it home safely.
mulveyr is offline   Reply With Quote