No announcement yet.

Winter Backpacking Episode 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another great video, thanks for sharing! really like the cut scenes of when you were there in summer. as far as the wood cutting, i usually let the fire do the cutting, when you're lazy and only 110 lbs, it's just easier... i gotta say, too, you eat better when camping than i do at home!

Comment

Thanks guys!
      Honestly, I was just trying out something a bit different this time, which was basically trying to include each piece of video that I recorded instead of leaving much of it out in order to keep the video a bit shorter. I did record a little more than I’m used to, and I must admit that I’m not really a big fan of the time involved in making a 28 minute video.
      Thanks again for the feedback, it is much appreciated!

But...Didn’t anyone catch my Clark Griswold impression?

Comment

I dont remember that new register when I went back to crane with my Jeep back in July of '16. Are they trying to keep people from driving back there? Love taking my canoe back to the pond.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakeside Paul View Post
          ...Are they trying to keep people from driving back there? Love taking my canoe back to the pond.
          Same here. It’s a bit of touchy subject... but in my experience, no... I haven’t seen anything suggesting ‘that’ since the dispute back in the late ‘80s, especially with the fresh 4x4 tracks through the thin snow cover along the road this past weekend, affectively ruining what is an otherwise very fun ski & snowshoe route during the winter months. Even the town snowplow truck seems to purposely avoid blocking the road with any kind of snow bank. Yet, with the road being rough & un-maintained (& technically illegal to drive), many people obviously do choose to park at the State Land boundary, so it makes perfect sense to me to have a register there.
          Last edited by Justin; 02-21-2018, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Again, a very nice video.

Don

Comment

Thanks Don.

Comment

Another nice one Justin. I really can't conceive the time and energy it takes to create such a video. Winter camping alone takes so much energy to begin with, maybe old age is creeping up on me.
                I was always impressed how Les Stroud would pack in all that equipment along with his camping gear. And then he would set up a walking up or walking away shot, some at no short distance. You and Bio have shown similar technique. Crazy! The energy is coveted.
                "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

Thanks a lot, Geo!
                  It’s all part of the fun for me, although Jenny often gets annoyed when I keep stopping & turning around when setting up those shots.
                  The hardest part for me is sitting on my ass in front of a computer for several hours editing & putting the video together.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
                    Thanks a lot, Geo!
                    It’s all part of the fun for me, although Jenny often gets annoyed when I keep stopping & turning around when setting up those shots.
                    The hardest part for me is sitting on my ass in front of a computer for several hours editing & putting the video together.
                    and your videos are relatively short in length! Imagine how long it takes to edit some of those longer videos out there on youtube (in particular, My Own Frontier, Adventure Archives, John Amorosano ... just to name a few ... & Adventure Archives composes & plays their own music for their video creations).
                    sigpic

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.

Comment

Like I always say to Mike the Stripperguy when he asks me if I’m interested in a larger scale construction project...I’m small potatoes, and that’s just the way I like it.

Comment

Justin - Regardless of how you see yourself (i.e. as "small potatoes") your continual contributions are a large part of why I keep returning to this forum. Thanks to you and Jenny, for her patience, in providing lots of us with glimpses into places we haven't been to yet. You're a font of future trip possibilities.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Comment

Thank you very much, Snapper!

Comment

Great video! I usually scroll through most videos catching the "highlights". Enjoyed watching this one through. Haven't been to Oxshue Pond in about 5 years.
                            www.walkingwiththeson.com
                            www.locolibregear.com
                            Like us on Face book at https://www.facebook.com/locolibregear

Comment

The small potatoes are often the most tender and flavorful. Go well with sausage too.
                              "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Comment

Speaking of small potatoes, fingerlings are really good too! I like them roasted with some salt, but you can grill them too.

Comment

Working...
                                X