Speed control needed on slippery snow 12/26/16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yardsale View Post
    Great photo SG. You know the saying" you only need to look good for 100th of a second. Guess yours was 100th second earlier!!
    Everything was cool, until I hit that windpacked...couldn't see any difference, only noticed when it was far too late. Did a really nice front layout. Second lap, don't you know I did it again, only this time my buddy had his video rolling to immortalize me!!

Comment

A strong telemark technique with soft boots is crucial for advanced XC. The best (and simplest) technique you can learn is the straight run and turn-out. Good technique for deep snow. If you faceplant while telemarking, then you are doing it wrong. More rear weight needed. If you sitzmark, you are in the back seat and not centered. High fore-aft stability with low lateral stability means you fall to your side when done properly (if there is proper falling). Turning in a tele is controlled sideways falling much like riding a bike.

A strong stem can get you out of a jam too, but more likely to put you on your face. Again, stem to hockey stop can save you. Good technique for icier or harder snows. Low fore-aft stability with soft boots and free heels means proper technique is catchy and likely to put you in the backseat or faceplant you. High lateral stability means you are more likely to fall forward or back as well. If you faceplant or sitzmark, then you need to visit the freeheel technique above.

If it's really bad, sideslip and sidestep down. Or walk. Learn kick turns, for up AND down.

Step turns are panic maneuvers in the BC. Very unstable; save as a last ditch effort. Use just before falling, and sparingly

Comment

Originally posted by Schultzz View Post
        "Fish Scales" give control when going uphill, not down.
        The old "Sitz Mark" is a last resort.

Gee, Jim you are so knowledgeable. I would not have figured that out unless you told me.
        I have stayed at that resort before. Tell you what. You get your downhill skiis and I'll bring my Telemark and we'll see who gets to the bottom of the hill first. Of course the moguls are a must. Let's see how much you really know.
        I have never cross country skied at a resort.
        I prefer remote trails.
        I have skied Whiteface back when the lift ticket cost six dollars.
        Why are you so arguementive???
        Jim

Comment

Come on fellas, we're heading into a powder day here.

Comment

Perfect timing for a ski-off!

I'd always put my money on smooth bases vs scales on the way down all else being equal.

Comment

I have never cross country skied at a resort.
              I prefer remote trails.
              I have skied Whiteface back when the lift ticket cost six dollars.
              Why are you so arguementive???
              Jim

Sorry Jim, I was just trying to be humorous when you said "sitz mark was a last resort I said I have stayed at that resort. You missed it. Don't take everything I say as serious because I am often trying to be facetious. Once again we show how different we are but that's okay. I hope you are not offended because it was all in jest. Jest the same.
              Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

Shorter full metal edge skis come in handy for fast and icy conditions - you don't need much floatation on hard pack, and it won't sacrifice speed too much on the glide.
                Wider skis with side cut can help if you have good bindings and boots, if you find it difficult to set the edge look into a set of binding risers/shims.

Temporary 'climbing skin' can be achieved on cold days if you take a wet rag or paper towel and wipe along the cold ski base (skip the scales if you have them - very difficult to clean them out in the cold), make sure you have a scraper on you.
                Feverishly avoiding "a steady stream of humanity, with a view that offers little more than butts, boots, elbows and backsides". (description quote from Joe Hackett)

Comment

Working...
                X